PDA

View Full Version : water changes

shan0203
11/03/2007, 09:23 PM
I am still working on the basic funtions of a reef aquarium and I feel like I have alot of dumb questions no one else is asking. Anyway, I took my first water sample to my lfs today and there was a trace of amonia. My 29 gallon reef tank is still cycling, so he told me to change 10 percent of the water and bring my salt level up abit. ( all I have in it is live rock and live sand). I did all this, read a little more on the internet trying to reeducate myself as I do things, and saw where the article said to heat up my water that I am adding to match what is already in the tank. Oops, to late on that one....the temp dropped 2 degrees. I have no fish in this tank, thank goodness, because I read even 1 degree can stress fish. I also read when you top off a tank not to add salt. Just water. I think that is where my salt level got out of wack. I have had to add one gallon of water every other day to keep it at the regular level. I really am confused on the best way to handle this.....please help. Thanks, sh

SABOB
11/03/2007, 09:29 PM
Daily water will evaporate. Replace with RO/DI to keep salinty stable due to only water evaporating not salt.Do water changes with mixed salt water to pH,temperature and salinty of tank water to minimize drastic changes.Keep asking questions here,you will learn alot from people who have been through what you are going through.

woodycb
11/03/2007, 09:40 PM
READ READ READ these forums, these people really helped me when I got started. Dont be affraid to ask questions, how else are going to learn. I store my RO water in a 32gal container with a heater and a powerhead on a timer to keep the water at a constant temp. That is my top off water and I mix my saltwater for water changes from the sam container of water.

jar05g
11/03/2007, 10:03 PM
I agree with everyone. Be happy you're not making the same mistake I did. I was too anxious to get fish in that I didn't let my tank cycle. Now I'm paying the price as I'm fighting getting my water conditions back to normal. Unfortunately, my only choice is to let my tank sit for a couple weeks and not do any water changes because it will just set me back more. But yes...whenever you need to just "top off" your tank, add fresh water with pH and temperature matching your main tank. This will cause little to no stress on the fish.