PDA

View Full Version : Glass hood ??

Ronny#66
11/03/2007, 09:18 PM
I have a 25 gal with glass canopy . I had PH issues and was advised by LFS to remove hood. I did and my snails were climbing out. Over nite found two on floor thought they were dead . Put them back in tank and there ok. darned things were all dry. Well I got some egg crate today should I go with this and not use glass hood water evaporated at least pint per day . being gone most of week and my wife isn't as diligent as me. also does you hands and what ever you put water in have a harbor odor to it with in minutes after you empty container or your hands dry off?

jsr
11/03/2007, 09:31 PM
Yes, ditch the glass cover and go with egg crate of you have critters escaping. Not only will this cause the water to heat faster, it may interfere with gas exchange. As for evaporation, that is something we all deal with. You may want to consider an auto top off system if you are concerned with replacing the evaporated water.

jvr1102
11/03/2007, 10:53 PM
Not to hijack the thread but I have the same issue and I was worried about salt buildup on my lights...any way around or suggestions as well

jsr
11/03/2007, 11:00 PM
What type of lights and how far from the water? I run 4 VHO bulbs about 3 or 4 inches above the water and have not had any problems.

jvr1102
11/03/2007, 11:08 PM
MarineLand T5-48 Deluxe 48" HO T5 Striplight 2-54 Watt day lamps and 2-54 Watt Actinic. It is right on top my hood I have no way to mount above the tank