PDA

View Full Version : rock rubble question.

SquidHC
11/03/2007, 05:23 PM
I just got a pound and a half of tonga rock rubble from my LFS. However the stuff is NOT cured at all and theres quite a bit of die off. Im going to use these pieces in my rear chamber of my nano, but obviously they need to cure. Should I just toss em in the sump of my main tank. Shouldn't be too hard on the system as its very stable, and its only 1.5 lbs of rock. Would it be better to actually stick in my display so things can pick away at it?

jamiep
11/03/2007, 06:07 PM
Why not set up a bucket with a heater and powerhead? or even just float a closed container in your sump until it cures, that way you won't get any off parameters or any bad creepys in your main tank!

SquidHC
11/03/2007, 07:42 PM
I scrubbed it down with a bottle brush and a bunch of RO water and stuffed it in my display. My crabs, snails, and mandarin are loving it already. I didnt want to put it in a bucket and wait cause it will cure a ton faster in my display. Its only 1.5lbs, so its not like it should hurt anything as far as chemicals go.

coast2coast7390
11/03/2007, 09:08 PM
DONT PUT IT IN YOUR BIG TANK
WILL START A CYCLE WITH ALL OF THAT DIE OFF

SET UP A BUCKET WITH A HEATER AND A POWERHEAD

MikeyNYC
11/03/2007, 09:17 PM
through it into a bucked of rodi water, run it for a couple of days, change the water out 3 more times, give it a couple of weeks to get rid of alot of die off. Giving it sometime you maybe able get rid of any mantis shrimps or other harmful hitchhikers before releasing them into your larger system.

kenny77
11/04/2007, 02:40 AM
you have a nano. even 1.5# will start a cycle very easy.