PDA

View Full Version : Seeding LR/LS

Speedway_06
11/03/2007, 04:43 PM
Probably a dumb question but I am wondering how long it takes to seed macro rock w/ live rock, and non-live sand w/ live sand. I am planning on setting up my 90 gallon display with about 70 lbs of macro rock and 30 lbs of live rock. How long will it take to seed the macro? Also, I want to have about a 3 inch sandbed which will require 135+ lbs of sand. How much live sand should I use to seed the rest of the sandbed, and how long until the entire sandbed becomes "live". Thanks in advance.

jamiep
11/03/2007, 06:11 PM
It depends on your parameters of your tank on how quickly it spreads, there is no one answer! I believe that 3" is a bit of no mans land in terms of sand beds, if your looking a DSB go greater than 4", if not go less than 2. If your inbetween it can give nitrate problems, thou many here would still disagree! A couple of cups of sand should seed it. If you can get it from an already matured system all the better. A large debate is how much of live sand bought in the bag is actually "Live"

ActinopteryGuy
11/03/2007, 07:29 PM
save your money buy dry sand it will be "live" but the time your tank cycles

daven
11/03/2007, 09:34 PM
I have a 180. Filled entirely with Marco rocks. Dry sand, 5+ inches. Fuge with marco rock rubble and about 6" of sand. Cycle is almost complete. I didn't use live rock just Cycle (bottled bacteria). I am on week 4.