PDA

View Full Version : reef lighting

csg04c
11/03/2007, 04:25 PM
Ok so I got a steal on ebay for a 36 inch corallife halide light, I put it on my 55 gallon reef w/ @100 lbs of live rock. I thought it would need another halide so I bought a viper 150 watt but im thinking that I really dont need it. I have the halide hood centered(its 150 watt w/ 2 65 watt 50/50 pc's). I dont plan on any sps just lps and a single clam I plan on puting high in the water column. Also should I get the high blue pc's instead of the 50/50's? I am also in the process of upgrading my pro skimmer to a euro-reef RS-80 but have recently heard of a knock of brand "octopus pro-skimmers" thats just as good, is it or am I just going to regret trying to save a few bucks?

Thanks for all the help!
-Chris

ahullsb
11/03/2007, 06:01 PM
I think the 36 inch fixture would be fine. Just don't keep much at the ends of the tank. I think 2 150's on a 55 would be ideal, but I'm sure not necessary. It's tough to say which actinics use should use. It kind of depends on what kelvin bulb your mh is. I would decide on that first, and then pick the actinic supplements around that. And I would go with the euroreef. Look in the lighting and equipment section and you should see a lot of info about both skimmers.