PDA

View Full Version : Fish Choices

MrX1oo1
11/03/2007, 04:04 PM
i know for sure two true percs. then i know i want a blenny or goby, looking towards going with the orange spotted blenny. then perhaps a cardinal not sure which of the two to go with. i saw the pjs and they dont really have all that much color to them but to be fair i think they were juveniles. then i have room for one more maybe two probably, pushing it. heres the list ive narrowed it down to:

wheeler's watchman goby
green mandarin
scooter red blenny
zebra catalina goby
coral beauty angelfish
neon blue goby
blue gudgeon dartfish
limbaughi chromis
mcCosker's flasher wrasse
catalina goby
flame angelfish
yellowhead jawfish
pinkbar goby
blue reef chromis
hector's goby

no im not adding all of those those are just what ive narrowed my choices down to. I know some of them can be a bit aggressive ive been reading forums for weeks now on most of them (few hundred threads lol) so any selection choices or suggestions are definately wanted along with experience.

bertoni
11/03/2007, 10:26 PM
Is this tank going to have corals? I'd be hesitant to add the angelfish if so. The Catalina goby fishes are from temperate waters, and don't do well in tropical reef tanks.

ahullsb
11/03/2007, 10:51 PM
I agree. No catalina goby. The flame angels are cool looking, but mine constantly bothered coral. Same with the coral beauty. It seems they have a slightly better track record. Don't get a mandarin until you have a refugium set up. You really should wait a year for one anyway. It takes time to build your pod population up, and that is almost the only thing the mandarin will eat anyway. They spend their entire day hunting for pods, and once the population depletes, they starve and die. This can take months. Watchman goby's are cool in my opinion. Your can pair them with a pistol shrimp and they have a pretty cool relationship. There is a video on you tube about them. Hope that helps

MrX1oo1
11/04/2007, 02:40 AM
yeah i am definately going to have some corals in my tank, mostly softies since i'm just staying with the lights that came with my nano. so i scratched off the flame angel, mandarin, and the catalina goby. im still debating on the coral beauty though. any other suggestions from you guys or others? i'm trying to create a good fish plan so i dont have to stress about it later lol

MrX1oo1
11/04/2007, 04:08 PM
bump

xian
11/04/2007, 10:11 PM
wheeler's watchman goby, pinkbar goby: I like the pinkbar myself looks great with a tiger pistol shrimp following it around. I've had mine for years

neon blue goby: cool little fish, I've read they have a short life span check out the yellow ones too.

blue gudgeon dartfish: Always wanted one. Look good in groups consider firefish as well.

limbaughi chromis, blue reef chromis: the carribian blue chromis are pretty big fish and they can be nasty. I don't know much about the linbaughi but any damselfish including clowns can be aggressive

mcCosker's flasher wrasse: very pretty a nice choice

yellowhead jawfish: Notoriously skiddish and jumpy. Mine ended up surfing an overflow into the return pump.

Hector's goby: Very nice little fish, not common either. A good choice

Some other suggestions: I just got a green and yellow fang blenny. Gorgeous color. Nice lyre shaped tail. Eats flatworms (Bonus)

I've always loved Scotts and Solar Fairy Wrasses.