PDA

View Full Version : The Infamous "SPS Sally" Hippo Tang For Sale. Not for SPS'ers

cham
11/03/2007, 01:53 PM
Hello all. I've had a blue hippo tang for awhile now, its had to of been at least 1 1/2 to 2 years. She is a great fish with an incredible personality. Too much personality.

Anytime I add new SPS frags to my tank, or move existing ones, she will spend the next two or three weeks picking them up and depositing them in the sand, some of you may have seen the video. Its only SPS that she does this to (probably doesn't want a mouth full of slime from sofites) and if I glue it down good she will give up pretty easily and never bother it again.

At this point its a real issue with me. I have allot of frags pulled off the rocks and moved around and she is having a field day with my SPS. There is never any damage done, but I come home and have to replace 9 frags from off the sand.

So, after much debate and thought, I think I would like to sell this one. Unless you have the patience of a saint, I would not put this fish in an all SPS tank. If your SPS are large colonies and well established and she can't lift them then your good to go. Otherwise a softie tank or FO tank.

She is a good size of about 5" or more. She is very fat, gets along well with my yellow tang and other community fish. She is not an agressive fish, please do not try to buy this for an agressive tank. I also would like to see what tank you plan on putting her in. I ask that the tank be at least a 120.

Here are some pictures of her.

$55

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/cham_01/Reef076-1.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/cham_01/Reef079.jpg

WIDE LOAD!!!

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/cham_01/Reef083-1.jpg

Lutefisk
11/03/2007, 05:36 PM
From the bottom picture she looks nice, fat (in a good way!), and healthy.

You gotta be careful when you describe a lady that way :D

cham
11/03/2007, 08:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11110745#post11110745 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lutefisk
From the bottom picture she looks nice, fat (in a good way!), and healthy.

You gotta be careful when you describe a lady that way :D

LOL, yep. She is a healthy tang. Eats like a pig.

Not aggresive at all, just a real PITA to have in my tank. I've been dealing with it for a long time. Its really not all that bad. Once I glue something in place that isn't normally where its supposed to be she will over, look at it for a second like "hey, that isn't supposed to be there" and try and move it. If it doesn't move she will leave it alone. Never any tissue damage. But my tank is in upheval right now and plenty of loose corals in "odd" places (by her standards) so its a real fiasco.

If no one buys her, I am debating giving her a short vacation in my sump (hate to do that) and get all my corals treated and glued back into place then put her back in my display.

Lutefisk
11/03/2007, 08:29 PM
I'm surprised that no one has taken you up on your offer. It's a great price and when you consider that she's adjusted to captive life so well and is so healthy it is a lot better than buying a regal fresh from a LFS.

But, about that tank decorating thing ... : cool:

cham
11/03/2007, 08:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11111567#post11111567 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lutefisk
I'm surprised that no one has taken you up on your offer. It's a great price and when you consider that she's adjusted to captive life so well and is so healthy it is a lot better than buying a regal fresh from a LFS.

But, about that tank decorating thing ... : cool:

Might of scared a few people off by asking to see their tank. Which is fine by me, my first concern is for the fish, not the money.

If I absoluetly have to get rid of her I will donate to a proper location before I sell to an unfitting tank/keeper.

cham
11/03/2007, 08:38 PM
Here is an old video of a newly placed frag she decided didn't belong there.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/cham_01/th_Busted.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/cham_01/?action=view&current=Busted.flv)

reefnfish
11/03/2007, 08:53 PM
That is a classic video. So very odd for him to do that. Great looking tank cham...super healthy happy fishies!

Me No Nemo
11/03/2007, 09:18 PM
This would be an excellent buy for anyone wanting a nice, healthy hippo. Cham babies his fish and as Lutefisk said, she's totally adapted to tank life and therefore would be a great addition. Good luck with finding her a great home!

sytanek
11/04/2007, 08:59 AM
Extremely beautiful fish, my 140 is undergoing a 2 month break from fish to try to eliminate any trace of ick. If you still have her at the end of the year, I would most definitely be interested.

cham
11/04/2007, 10:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11113625#post11113625 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sytanek
Extremely beautiful fish, my 140 is undergoing a 2 month break from fish to try to eliminate any trace of ick. If you still have her at the end of the year, I would most definitely be interested.

Ich is in my tank. I know there is allot of debate and arguements on this subject but here is what my reading taught me.

If you know Paul B (guy with a 25 or 30 year old reef tank) he said that he hasn't seen ich in his tank in a decade, or some crazy time period like that. One day his chiller broke and his temps went crazy high for a short period of time. He was able to fix it quickly with no loss of life but every fish in his tank came down with ich. Within a week or two everything was back to normal and ich was never seen again.

When I first put this fish in my tank it came down with ich. I fed her the best foods that I believe are available, gave her a healthy environment free of stress, the ich quickly cleared up and I have never seen another spot on her.

My understanding is that ich can hitchhike in on corals and other non fish items that you bring into your tank. It seems almost an impossible task to have absolutely no ich available in your system although I'm sure its possible.

***Disclaimer, I am not a bioligist and I have not spent 20 years researching this. I have however observed and come up with my own theory on ich. It certianly could be full of holes, but its worked for a couple of years for me. Hippo tangs aren't exactly ich resistant either.

cham
11/07/2007, 06:51 AM
bump

BBoley24
11/08/2007, 03:22 PM
That movie is hilarious... I would love to have a fish like that with personality...

chrisstie
11/08/2007, 11:06 PM
Cham if only my bigger tank was up and running she'd have a new home but still working on that whole graduating and being able to work on that career to set up the bigger tank :) It's a process. She sure is adorable though! (unless I can tell by looking at a fish they are mostly "she's" to me, hope he or she doesn't mind.. guess its like Ships)

I've only been in this hobby nearly 2 years which makes me quite the newbie but I, too, have a similar philosophy about ich. If you have the ideal environment with no stressors and stable temperatures and all the other proper parameters right, ich is extremely manageable. Kind of reminds me of getting chicken pox then when you're older and your immune system weakens you get break outs of shingles. Annoying yes, tended to and cared for is usually non-lethal.

cham
11/09/2007, 07:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11143148#post11143148 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BBoley24
That movie is hilarious... I would love to have a fish like that with personality...

Come on over and pick her up!

cham
11/09/2007, 07:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11146170#post11146170 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chrisstie
Cham if only my bigger tank was up and running she'd have a new home but still working on that whole graduating and being able to work on that career to set up the bigger tank :) It's a process. She sure is adorable though! (unless I can tell by looking at a fish they are mostly "she's" to me, hope he or she doesn't mind.. guess its like Ships)

I've only been in this hobby nearly 2 years which makes me quite the newbie but I, too, have a similar philosophy about ich. If you have the ideal environment with no stressors and stable temperatures and all the other proper parameters right, ich is extremely manageable. Kind of reminds me of getting chicken pox then when you're older and your immune system weakens you get break outs of shingles. Annoying yes, tended to and cared for is usually non-lethal.

Thanks Chrisstie.

InLimbo87
11/09/2007, 07:31 AM
Hope you can find her a good home. She's a beautiful fish, and that SPS tossing is hilarious! :D

Goby1kenobe
11/09/2007, 10:47 PM
I would love to give her a good home but I do not know how well my sailfin and yellow tang would accept her. It took a week before they would let my CBB out of the top corner of the tank:(

cham
11/10/2007, 08:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11152642#post11152642 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Goby1kenobe
I would love to give her a good home but I do not know how well my sailfin and yellow tang would accept her. It took a week before they would let my CBB out of the top corner of the tank:(

How big is your yellow & sailfin?

She came out of a tank with a yellow tang so I know she won't have a problem.

Print out a color picture of a hippo tang and tape it to the glass and see what they do. :lolspin:

anative
11/10/2007, 12:28 PM
Cham,

If you can hold out a bit longer I would love to give her a home in our 220. It has been cycling for 5 weeks with live rock that I had cooking for over a year.

The tank is going to be all softies and LPS with peaceful fish.

Jon

cristhiam
11/10/2007, 09:45 PM
Very nice fish! the one I had turned into a LPS nightmare. I had to sell it.

cham
11/10/2007, 09:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11157690#post11157690 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cristhiam
Very nice fish! the one I had turned into a LPS nightmare. I had to sell it.

Really?

Did she eat them?

Mine has never eaten any of my corals. She just keeps moving them!

cristhiam
11/10/2007, 10:12 PM
The brain recovered but it did killed the brain of the other guy who bought the tang (he knew what mine was doing). The tang did not eat it what it was doing is strees the brain to the point that it will spell the zoantelly (spelling) or whatever brown stuff is inside the brain and it will eat that, so the brain stayed closed all the time causing it to receide. Also I had a sailfin tang that I sold a few weeks ago that liked my acans!!!. I'm done with tangs. both tangs were fat too, so I don't think it was diet.

cham
11/11/2007, 07:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11157845#post11157845 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cristhiam
The brain recovered but it did killed the brain of the other guy who bought the tang (he knew what mine was doing). The tang did not eat it what it was doing is strees the brain to the point that it will spell the zoantelly (spelling) or whatever brown stuff is inside the brain and it will eat that, so the brain stayed closed all the time causing it to receide. Also I had a sailfin tang that I sold a few weeks ago that liked my acans!!!. I'm done with tangs. both tangs were fat too, so I don't think it was diet.

Wow thats crazy.

I think your correct. Anytime a fish gets a taste for corals, you can't just up your feeding and make them loose their taste for something. Fish are natural grazers, if they get a taste for something then thats it.

Mine does not do this, she is just a PITA. Reminds me of my old cats. If anything was moved, they would get upset by it.

jccash
11/11/2007, 03:42 PM
It was nice seeing you and your wild hippo tang at Seven Seas today. I would have taken it but she/he is just to large for my tank.

Hope we meet again some day.

Thanks,

Jeff

cham
11/11/2007, 03:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11161236#post11161236 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jccash
It was nice seeing you and your wild hippo tang at Seven Seas today. I would have taken it but she/he is just to large for my tank.

Hope we meet again some day.

Thanks,

Jeff

Nice meeting you too Jeff!

jccash
11/11/2007, 04:28 PM
Did you end up making a trade with 7 Seas?

cham
11/11/2007, 05:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11161425#post11161425 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jccash
Did you end up making a trade with 7 Seas?

Yep. I traded for a giant clam plus cash

jccash
11/11/2007, 06:09 PM
Wow, I think I saw that clam. I just started visiting that shop. I also visit Ocean Direct. They are both good.

cham
11/11/2007, 06:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11161964#post11161964 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jccash
Wow, I think I saw that clam. I just started visiting that shop. I also visit Ocean Direct. They are both good.

Sea in the city is another great LFS, if you haven't been there you should go check it out.

A interesting fact about seven seas is their peppermint shrimp seem to always eat aptasia. I've had two sets of them from there (had to nuke the first set with interceptor) and both sets chewed them up.