PDA

View Full Version : red slime remover

Phatty42081
11/03/2007, 12:18 PM
has anyone ever heard of or used this product? it was recomended by lfs to a friend. does anyone have anyexperience with this product??

rcerulli
11/03/2007, 12:42 PM
it decimates bacteria including good bacteria, do not use it unless you have no other options

Sk8r
11/03/2007, 12:47 PM
Many drawbacks:
1.it's a bacteriocide, an antibiotic: it kills cyanobacteria---but it doesn't stop there: it hits your rock and sandbed.
2. the dieoff of a very large cyano sheet PLUS part of your sandbed and rock bacteria means you have to skim wet as per the instructions. Follow the instructions immaculately. This is equivalent to having a large fish die in your tank and rot there, relying only on the skimmer---and remember, you just killed the top layer of your sandbed, so your tank's ability to dispose of rot is very gravely compromised, and will be for weeks.
3. turkey baster out every bit of the cyano sheet you can. THis is one bit of rot not going into your skimmer.
4. it also seems to kill copepods: I lost all of mine and spent over 300.00 keeping my mandarin alive until I could reculture them.
5. if you don't have a potent skimmer don't even think of using this stuff.

The best way to deal with cyano is to pull the plug on your lights and leave them off for three days WHILE skimming hard---and testing for ammonia/nitrate! On the 4th day, turn your actinics back on; on the 5th, restore all lighting to normal. Do this once monthly. It will not kill your sandbed or your pods, and it costs nothing.

Dingo Dog
11/03/2007, 03:36 PM
I had red slime. I think the name of the product that worked for me was called, Red Slime Remover. My LSF told me to turn off my canister and skimmer before dosing to avoid a foaming issue. It worked great for me.

bertoni
11/03/2007, 05:36 PM
The product will kill red slime, but they can also crash tanks. I'd advise siphoning out as much as possible if you decide to dose. The fix tends to be temporary, with the problem returning in a few months at most.

uscharalph
11/03/2007, 06:16 PM
I used it once. My cyano problem was really bad. What I had to do after, was cure the cause. Also, you have to stop skimming for a week or so as it causes uncontrollable bubbles in the skimmer.

Sk8r
11/03/2007, 10:10 PM
FOLLOW the instructions.

And use the pull the plug method first. It's much,much safer.

poppin_fresh
11/03/2007, 10:24 PM
I have seen people lose tanks from the stuff because they overdosed it. If you aren't careful you will decimate the aerobic bacteria in the tank causing a large drop in PH.

Duff Man
11/03/2007, 11:28 PM
Before using the slime remover, try pointing a powerhead where the slime is. I thought it was unbeatable until I did that. I'm slime free ever since.

0 Agios
11/04/2007, 02:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11109396#post11109396 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
Many drawbacks:
1.it's a bacteriocide, an antibiotic: it kills cyanobacteria---but it doesn't stop there: it hits your rock and sandbed.
2. the dieoff of a very large cyano sheet PLUS part of your sandbed and rock bacteria means you have to skim wet as per the instructions. Follow the instructions immaculately. This is equivalent to having a large fish die in your tank and rot there, relying only on the skimmer---and remember, you just killed the top layer of your sandbed, so your tank's ability to dispose of rot is very gravely compromised, and will be for weeks.
3. turkey baster out every bit of the cyano sheet you can. THis is one bit of rot not going into your skimmer.
4. it also seems to kill copepods: I lost all of mine and spent over 300.00 keeping my mandarin alive until I could reculture them.
5. if you don't have a potent skimmer don't even think of using this stuff.

The best way to deal with cyano is to pull the plug on your lights and leave them off for three days WHILE skimming hard---and testing for ammonia/nitrate! On the 4th day, turn your actinics back on; on the 5th, restore all lighting to normal. Do this once monthly. It will not kill your sandbed or your pods, and it costs nothing. Just do this and the cyano will desapear :D

uscharalph
11/04/2007, 03:12 AM
It's good advice.