PDA

View Full Version : Add 1 new clown to 1 existing clown?

meskin
11/03/2007, 11:15 AM
I had two perc. clowns in a 93 gal. FOWLR tank that got along great (no sign of mating - at least that I could tell), but one just recently died. Can I add a new single perc clown into the tank, without too much fear of the older clown causing problems for it?

Thanks.

icliao
11/03/2007, 11:44 AM
It is pretty hard to say. I had two clown fish getting alone well for a few month (One maloon and one false Perc.) Once, I had to isolate them for white spot treatment for 2 weeks. After the reintroduction, they lock jaw and try to kill each other. However, I have seen others adding a few new clown fish to the exsiting ones without any problem.

Sk8r
11/03/2007, 11:57 AM
be sure of your species. Clarkiis and percs can be mistaken for each other if you don't look closely. Ask.

Get the littlest one that's healthy but not too little.

Why? Clowns change gender. The largest will be female. The smallest will be male. A big female is pugnacious and will kill a potential rival. Bringing in a little one means its male and your bigger one will hopefully take to it.

QT your new arrival: clowns are bad about ich and brooklynosis. Google those.

If you've got a plastic container you can float your new guy in you can let the two do their sparring through the plastic, and when it dies down and becomes curiosity, you can release him safely.