PDA

View Full Version : who do i believe?

ianl77
11/03/2007, 10:45 AM
hi everyone

i have a 3x12x24 tank,which has been setup for over a year now.
i wanted to try and keep some corals,but as i only had normal flourescent tubes (4),i was told by one lfs to change to power glo tubes,so i bought 4 30watt tubes,and some corals,
now another lfs has told me,i needed to interchange my power glo tubes with marine glo,i.e 2 of each,so i spent another 50$ ,now my tank is looking more blue,but now some of my corals seem to be shrinking and the mushroom are half the size they were when i bought them
now another lfs has told me to get rid of the marine glo,so my problem is, i have 3 different places telling me 3 different answers
can anyone here help me

thankyou

ian

mg426
11/03/2007, 10:57 AM
The corals could very well be adjusting to the change in bulbs. Going forward its hard to say but NO bulbs are not the best suggestion for keeping corals.

Sk8r
11/03/2007, 11:08 AM
I'm not familiar with these bulbs, but most corals are very suspicious of change, and react by pulling in until they've acclimated. Limit your on-time with brand new bulbs to about 4 hours, increasing an hour a day until you've reached your desired photoperiod.

jamiep
11/03/2007, 01:30 PM
I have a 30gallon and use a 24watt powerglo and a 30watt marine blue and my mushroom is doing really well (fully extended). I keep it about half way up at the minute but I'm thinking of moving it even further down, maybe the whole way.

rcerulli
11/03/2007, 02:18 PM
power-glos are just different spectrum, they are not higher wattage and mainly just make your tank look different colors. With these bulbs you can keep softies - zoanthids, mushrooms etc

ianl77
11/03/2007, 05:00 PM
thankyou everybody for your help,,much appreciated

ian