PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much turnover for a 10g tall?

chuppy
11/03/2007, 10:20 AM
I am currently running on 2 cheapo micro water pumps (dimension of 1 inch x 1 inch x 1cmW) and a canister filter... an EHEIm.. the smallest ecco.. and i am wondering.. what is to much turnover?? i can say that there is a good 50gph here... and i can obtain a 620gph pump/wavemaker from a fellow reefer(SEIO brand) for a good price.. USD 10 ... so i am wodering by installing this will it be too much?.. i got an advice from an LFS that this could be done.. by pointing the powerhead upwards to the surface and lets gravity to the current work...

So i can refeering to reef central for more advice! my tanks are mostly softies and i got a frag of purple acropora for free... so i am worried.. my lighting(150w metal halide +11w PC athnic) and water params are great as there are only 1 false perc in there. .. and i do fortnight water changes...
Reminder: It is a 10gal tall.

Hoping to see advice a.s.a.p.
Thanks in advance
Andrew

Playa-1
11/03/2007, 10:59 AM
There are lots of alternatives. You could also add a sump and the headloss would lower the pressure a bit. some people advocate 60X turnover in the Stony Coral tanks. It could be a bit too much for the softies. You could point the pump into one the sides or corners to diffuse the flow a bit.
If it were me i think i would just get a bigger tank to go with my new pump and use the 10 gal as a Hospital tank :)

chuppy
11/03/2007, 11:06 AM
Lol Slow down playa!!! ahaha im gaining basic knowledge trough this and will not be attemting a larger tank anytime soon..( a lousy reason for an empty wallet LOL) i got the wavemaker already and it is pointed upwards so the flow is kinda diffused.. and i removed those cheapo pumps lol and further more! i have a HOB skimmer to add flow LOL so far the flow ain't bothering my softies(sign is shown by my neon frogspawn placed n the middle range in the centre of the tank directly infront of the powerhead(of course ot pointed at it directly- the powerhead points up!) so far it is waving its 'arms' more than usually while still keeping it's original palm size! I m just wondering if this works!

P.S. so far non of my softies are greatly affected by the large turnover, so i am just gaining exra knowledge from the more experienced here. :P

Advice are greatly welcomed.. wont be replying till 24 hours from nw.

PJsStuff
11/03/2007, 11:06 AM
I have two 1200gph pumps in my frag tank thats only about 35 gallons. YOu can never have too much flow lol.

ljosh
11/03/2007, 12:23 PM
I am running 360-460gph in my 10.5 Gal and it seems to be perfect. I have 3 mj400's on a wavestrip powerbar and about 260gph coming from my return. My clown fish pair seemed to be over powered by it at first but now they seem to navigate the tank without problem. Occasionally my hermit crabs will be sitting in front of a powerhead when it turns on and they will get blown across the tank.

Playa-1
11/03/2007, 12:45 PM
Time for an upgrade :)

chuppy
11/03/2007, 06:09 PM
Ijosh, i just have to ask... when it turns on? you mean the pump doesnt need to be on 24/7??

PJsStuff, I'm glad to hear that!!

Playa - 1, as what most people say here.. no matter what i do... i will always want a bigger tank than what i have... lol they are right!!! i do want an upgrade.. to at least a 55gal next! lol but my wallet is whining =( it being empty and stuff just plainly bcos of these frags/corals in my tank.. i heard i got 3 good rare ones in there.. such as the trumpet coral(it is fluo green, but so much brighter.. i heard it is almost extinct or some sort.. rest assured mine is tank bred =P and what is this.. acanthas?? lol) especially the neon frogspawn..that cost me a good 50 bucks...-it is normal pricing at my part of the world mind you lol-

Drew

Playa-1
11/04/2007, 01:28 AM
I feel your pain :(