PDA

View Full Version : New around here

Kittenz
11/03/2007, 12:20 AM
Hey guys,

Thought I'm not new to fish keeping, I am new to salt water! I acquired a couple of Green Spotted Puffers. They are in full marine conditions. Basically my question is I was wondering if any other fish, or corals etc could go in with them? They seem to be quite mild mannered, I put an Olive Rockfish in with them, and he's doing fine, hand feeding and all (my brother caught him). What could I try?

Thanks,
Jasmine

uscharalph
11/03/2007, 12:59 AM
Puffers aren't recommended for reef tanks.

spike78
11/03/2007, 01:07 AM
Welcome to Reef Central!!

Puffers will eat everything. :) With the puffers you are somewhat locked into an aggressive fish only setup.

Kittenz
11/03/2007, 01:07 AM
I know they aren't recommended, however they do seem to be pretty mild and I was wondering if anyone had tried.

Kittenz
11/03/2007, 01:10 AM
Thanks Spike, I was debating turning my four footer African Cichlid tank into a reef type tank, and putting the cichlids in a two foot cube I'm getting, and leaving the puffers in the four footer they're in at the moment. However, being a student, I don't have much money at the moment, so stuck as what to do. I have a cannister filter on it, and have purchased a skimmer. I'll need more high output lights, but have a twin bulb light head for it. I was however debating whether to leave the cichlids in that tank, and use the two foot cube for the reef tank, it has a nicer stand and just looks more appealing visually, and has a custom wooden lid etc on top of it.

Argh, decisions. Anyone have any suggestions of what I could do? :D I just wanted to make the puffer tank a little more appealing visually cause it looks so bare, and I already have the cichlid tank with just rocks in it.

uscharalph
11/03/2007, 01:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11107526#post11107526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spike78
Puffers will eat everything. :) With the puffers you are somewhat locked into an aggressive fish only setup.
Dead on! I wanted a puffer in the beginning, because they have so much personality, but I wanted to keep a reef. Having a puffer and adding corals is like throwing that money away.

Kittenz
11/03/2007, 01:25 AM
Ok, what about can any other fish be kept with them?

swreefers
11/03/2007, 01:46 AM
[welcome]

they may look mild mannered but are aggressive toward community tank type livestock, try a lion fish or clown trigger or other aggressive types also when choosing livestock be sure they are large enough that the GSP cant eat. I am surprised you have several in this tank a GSP can get 12" in captivity and 36" in the wild. you may want to trade off all but one for other livestock to allow room in the tank IMO.

Good Luck

Kittenz
11/03/2007, 01:57 AM
I would love a Lion Fish! Unfortunately, as far as I know we can't get them here in New Zealand :(

I've got two in the tank at the moment, puffers are really difficult to come by in New Zealand and I know heaps of people wanting one. I got really lucky and got them quite cheap too! I always figured when the time comes, I can just get a bigger tank (I'm forever upgrading).