PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!trying to pair fish and its a war

hugodboss
11/02/2007, 07:15 PM
I need some help here im trying to pair up a maroon clown i just added one after having the other for a month and its pretty much attacking it to the pont that i dont think it will make it thru the night...i dont have another tank does anyone have any ideas what i can do? or anything i can buy in a supermarket? or will this pair up even work?

thx for you help

saltymight
11/02/2007, 07:29 PM
Some people use the little clear mouse balls that they can roll aound, you know what I mean.

seanndenise1
11/02/2007, 07:30 PM
what size are the clowns?
idont know much about them but it sounds like you got 2 females and i have heard that putting two large clowns together is not a good idea, i think you need one too be alot younger.

if the clown looks like hes really hurting i would try and get him out and back in a big bag with some air going till you get some better advise or are able to take him back or get rid of the other one.

you could also just for the time being turn all the lights out in the room and tank so its completely dark, they wont fight in the dark.

just a temporary solution.

hopefully someone will chime in here with some good clown advise.

Blindmelonbob
11/02/2007, 07:30 PM
Turning the lights out might help get them through the night. If one is larger than the other, you may be okay. Maroons are mean, tho. Good luck with yours. You might also consider rearranging the rockwork so there's no known territory to defend.

Blindmelonbob
11/02/2007, 07:31 PM
*jinx* I guess I owe you a coke, seanndenise1!

hugodboss
11/02/2007, 07:39 PM
thx for the replys...my original clown isnt that big but the one i just added is way smaller..i was told that the bigger one would become the female...the light thing wont work because its in the middle of my living room...but im interested in what clear mouse balls are and where to get them...this stinks im so mad at my clown...i used to have an angel that was picking on him and i felt sorry for him so i gave him away and now he picks on a little tiny baby marron

saltymight
11/02/2007, 07:45 PM
The mouse ball is something you put you pet mouse or gerbal in to let roll around your house. a clear on will let him be seen and not touched. Also it has holes in it so the fish can still have clean water. Any pet store will have them like Petco or petland.

zma21
11/02/2007, 08:19 PM
Not to discourage you, but it took me 6 different small male Gold striped maroons to finally find the match for my female. I thought i'd never find it haha.

Thinslis
11/02/2007, 08:27 PM
The dominant clown will appear to attack the other clown and chase it as part of establishing dominance. The other clown will twitch and eventually it will learn its roll. If there is physical damage to the smaller clown you may want to seperate them, if not I would let them go.

You may also want to post this in the clown fish forum for some better advice that is clown specific.

super stooge
11/02/2007, 08:39 PM
you may want to try re-aranging ur rock work. this will disorientate teh fish and give the new clown a chance to get established.

also u could try seperating them, there are alot of ways u could do this. u could just get a cheap spagetti strainer from the super market and float that on the top of the water then put the aggresive clown in it until the smaller one can get established. u could do the same witha tupawear container or anything else u can think of that will float and let water flow through it

zotzer
11/02/2007, 09:56 PM
Pairing clownfish can be ugly business. I never would have lasted the day if a clownfish expert in our club hadn't talked me through it. The female would actually grab the juvie by the tail fin and drag it down low in the tank, shaking it all along until it played dead!

If the small clown gets injured beyond a frazzled fin or two, you may want to remove it. Otherwise, just bite the bullet and let them work it out.

Worked with my two, and I thought for sure the little juvie would be murdered. All was peaceful after day one.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Tracy

Ronny#66
11/02/2007, 10:39 PM
I tried to put a new perc clown in with one i had a few months and it died next day 26 bucks down drain!!

Ritten
11/02/2007, 11:19 PM
Maroon are incredibly hard to pair.

uscharalph
11/03/2007, 01:10 AM
Best way is to buy a pre mated pair. Otherwise you may have to go thru the process. Why do you want a pair, if I might ask?

GoingPostal
11/03/2007, 07:20 AM
Take the new one out and back, if she hasn't accepted the little oen she won't, maroons are the most difficult to pair, so unless you can get and return a steady supply of them I wouldn't even try, your best bet is wait until yours is larger then add a tiny maroon from a whole group that hasn't gotten a chance to change, put the new one in one of those breeder nets or betta hang-on tanks where they can see each other but not do damage.

dinoman
11/03/2007, 09:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11107104#post11107104 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ritten
Maroon are incredibly hard to pair.

:D I believe that's an understatement - maroons are one of thee nastiest clowns when it comes to pairing (at least most of the time - there are more "docile" individuals, I happen to be the owner of one but don't count on it). Here is a good thread to read before you try to pair a clown.

Pairing Clownfish (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=215098)

hugodboss
11/03/2007, 09:15 PM
thanks for all the info. I went ahead and purchased a clear container with holes in it and placed it right in the spot my previous marroon was hosting (the magnet)..lol at first he ...or she?? started to build its nest opposite of the tank.last i checked it was next to the container looking at it. hopefully this works.

someone asked why did i want to pair them? just because i like marrons and my new marroon has distinct markings that look very odd...i will post a pick..thx again..btw that link waqs very helpful.

daven
11/03/2007, 09:36 PM
I had a proven pair of gold strip maroons. Had to move them to another tank. Things seemed fine for a couple days but then the female killed the male. You can never tell.

hugodboss
11/03/2007, 10:22 PM
here are a few pics...the new clown fit tru the hole after being there for a while so i figured lets see if thing get nasty but for now nothing major...does this look like a promising sign?

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee231/hugodboss/Picture327.jpg

looks like a love and hate so far :)

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee231/hugodboss/Picture326.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee231/hugodboss/Picture325.jpg

hugodboss
11/04/2007, 08:40 AM
this morning they are in the same spot.