PDA

View Full Version : Invert Question

Vinnie71975
11/02/2007, 06:55 PM
Not sure if this has been asked or not i went through 10+ pages and didn't see anything close so here goes. Do Skunk Cleaner Shrimp Eat Parasites Such as Marine Ich Off Of Fish? i know the are Known to "clean Fish" but what exactly is it that they Clean?

m2434
11/02/2007, 07:06 PM
IMy opinion on the subject is that they probably do not eat enough ich to "cure" ich, but ich is a stress related diseas and they may help reduce stress and prevent ich...

m2434
11/02/2007, 07:10 PM
Note: I said my opinion, because I know there is not much evidence that they eat ich... but in my opinion they do reduce stress.

Also, more factually speaking, are they can eat some parasites and ich is stress realted.

Sk8r
11/02/2007, 07:14 PM
'Cleaning' species are vastly overrated, don't save fish from ich, and generally either starve to death from want of parasites, or make themselves such a pest that they keep fishy skin irritated, thus CAUSING skin conditions. I don't think they should be sold at all to anyone with under 500g of tank to give the fish somewhere to get away from them.

And I'm sure that statement will cause a bit of controversy, but I've tried tanks with and without, and I think their displays provoke a reflex in fish about as compulsive as a group yawn, and just way over do it. Sort of like being locked in a fallout shelter with your barber for a year.

reefergeorge
11/02/2007, 07:29 PM
Cleaner shrimp are fun to watch, but I don't think they do much for prevention of ich.

Vinnie71975
11/08/2007, 04:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11105748#post11105748 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefergeorge
Cleaner shrimp are fun to watch, but I don't think they do much for prevention of ich. But do they actually eat the parasites? not even on fish, just in the water ?