PDA

View Full Version : Caution - do you name your fish?

whosinpower
11/02/2007, 02:20 PM
Thought you might be interested in the goings on of my saltwater adventure, such as it is.

"Hey luv, just LOOK at these guys. Aren't Oscar and Lulu just the most adorable fish you have ever seen?" My newest acquisitions are a mated pair of clownfish.

Hubby looked at me with a look of horror and amazement at the same time. " Oscar and Lulu? You named the fish?"
"No. I did not name the fish. I asked Dad to name the fish - and those are the names he picked and that is what we are going to call them."
"They look the same - how can you even tell them apart?" he asked rather sarcastically.
"Lulu is the female, and Oscar is the male. The females are always bigger, but the males seem to be bolder. See?" I asked while pointing to them, and Oscar came up to the glass to investigate my finger. I went on to explain clownfish behaviour, how shocked I was the first morning I checked the tank to find them both laying flat on their sides on the sand.....sleeping....how they are sexless until.......it was at this point that hubbie had enough.

He jumped off the sofa, threw up his hands and yelled at me.
"GET A LIFE! MY GAWD....THEY ARE FISH!!! IT IS PATHETIC, YOUR PATHETIC, and then he muttered something to himself about naming fish......Oscar and lulu....snail poop....oh she has to siphon out the poop, wouldn't want Oscar and lulu to sleep in snail poop.......... Oh my gawd" and then he stormed up the stairs.

Yep. Some people can view aquariums for hours and state how calming they are, how much they enjoy watching the fish and corals....but I think I drove poor old husband over the edge......not good for someone with a heart condition and has been in and out of hospital more times than I care to admit.

Note to self - in future keep obsessions under tight wraps so people will not see you are a total nutcase. Book appointment to psychiatrist to begin therapy and begin going to AA meetings. (aquarist anonymous) And finally....under NO circumstances, whatever I do, do NOT tell hubbie what the big green bottles in the fridge are for.

P.S. The path to healing is to freely admit one has a problem. I have a problem. There! Did it. I admitted it. Course.....admitting it via email to someone who often answers to the name of guppygodfather.....hmmmmm.....did that count?

Thinslis
11/02/2007, 02:29 PM
My friends name my fish, so far i have Patron (some sort of drink) Tangery (Gin), and Jack (Jack the wiskey) =)

reefergeorge
11/02/2007, 02:30 PM
All my fish have names.

GlobaLPimP
srry - dbl post

GlobaLPimP
interesting read;) I only name the special ones - which is all of them:)

kaihonu82
11/02/2007, 04:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11103976#post11103976 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Thinslis
i have Patron (some sort of drink)

patron is tequila
and yea, i name my fish too

Lt.Dan
11/02/2007, 04:13 PM
My powder blue's name is porky and my diamond goby is named dumptruck.

papagimp
11/02/2007, 04:16 PM
I let my GF name the fish, I just call them all "fish". Occasionally i'll do them the service of calling them "red fish" or "blue fish" but usually it's just "ugly fish".

Achapman
11/02/2007, 04:49 PM
patron is the ****

Thinslis
11/02/2007, 05:07 PM
I don't drink tequila so I wouldn't have a clue, I let the women name the fish...

acrodave
11/02/2007, 05:09 PM
My clowns are mean so i call them Bonnie and Clyde

cloak
11/02/2007, 05:28 PM
Livin and still livin. Bad joke.

Is this on?

slider162
11/02/2007, 05:29 PM
My wife names the fish. The clowns are Nemo and Nacho (dont' ask). The Majestic is Willie because he had popeye in one eye when we got him (one eyed Willie....). The scooter blenny is skipper. The only problem with naming them is that you get attached to them. When they die, it is poor Kenny died and so on.

seapug
11/02/2007, 05:42 PM
my wife named the clownfish and anemone:

puddin', pie & jello. You figure out who's who.

super stooge
11/02/2007, 06:03 PM
my mum named my 2 small clowns bubble and squeek :p .

Sk8r
11/02/2007, 06:06 PM
My three stonogobiops nematodes are named Raspberry, Teacake, and Poundcake---for obvious reasons.
[Poundcake is the largest.]

Pea-brain
11/02/2007, 06:24 PM
Of course I name my fish. That one is Bigger jawfish, that one is smaller jawfish (occasionally called spitfire) and that one is orange spotted watchman goby. The adult molly is called stupid fat fish and all the tiny baby mollies that sit in my sump and eat algae and make waste all day don't get names :)

Dan

kathainbowen
11/02/2007, 07:37 PM
All of my pets have names, so don't feel bad. You *SHOULD* feel bad if you allow friends or roommates to name pets and they come up with awful names. They had a cat named Sauce Pan. This should have been a warning sign, but I was running out of names after the early "trail-and-error" years of my aquatic husbandry (from 1st to 3rd grade when I would follow any LFS employee's advice, no matter how stupid, because they were grownup and grownups always know better).

They named my coral beauty angel Antigone Decepticon Frying Pan. I started fostering a turtle named Walton. That name quickly changed to Walton Turtlebot. They eventually convinced me to name a musk turtle foster Sir Thomas the Duke of Kent after a ren fest character.

After that, you would think I would be smart enough to either go without names or only allow less creative individuals suggest names. My Urban Dead comrads helped me name my cleaner shrimp Jacques Jemima Cousteau.

The good people my lj came up with Pookie King of the Deep for one of my perc clowns.

At the coaxing of fellow RVB fans, I currently have two male, crowntail bettas named Michael J. Caboose and Sarge. Yes, Michael J. Caboose is blue, and Sarge is red. No..... they don't like each other.

.... yeah.... from my perspective, naming clownfish Oscar and Lulu is downright tame and nothing to feel ashamed about. =P

saltymight
11/02/2007, 07:41 PM
My girlfriends goes crazy when ever I talk about my tank or do something with it but she names every fish and a few inverts. even a hermit...

kathainbowen
11/02/2007, 07:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11105828#post11105828 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltymight
My girlfriends goes crazy when ever I talk about my tank or do something with it but she names every fish and a few inverts. even a hermit...

Because obviously the tank is inert and not alive, and is therefore, by default, both not-cute and boring at the same time. Critters are alive and potentially uber-cute! I mean, who doesn't think nudibranches that eat zoas, with their frilly backs aren't utterly adorable?!? And those giant mexican turbo snails that knock over all delicate frags and not-so-delicate things in their path are adorable by default because they're a pit dopey, and they're snails!

:lolspin:

ACBlinky
11/02/2007, 08:26 PM
Naming fish isn't at all unusual. Reef fish, to many people, are pets. Pets get names. Period. It's not just a dog and cat world - a fish, tarantula, iguana or even a giant hissing cockroach can be a much loved pet, and every pet deserves to have a unique name.

Clowns have amazing behaviour patterns and personalities, how could you not want to name them? My maroons are named Punch and Judy - they're obviously in love but always bickering, and Punch is forever pummelling Judy (he head-butts her in the side about 1,000 times a day); it suits them. :D

kathainbowen
11/02/2007, 09:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11106144#post11106144 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ACBlinky
Clowns have amazing behaviour patterns and personalities, how could you not want to name them? My maroons are named Punch and Judy - they're obviously in love but always bickering, and Punch is forever pummelling Judy (he head-butts her in the side about 1,000 times a day); it suits them. :D

You wouldn't, by chance, have read The Tragic Comedy or Comical Tragidy of Mr. Punch and Judy, have you?

zotzer
11/02/2007, 09:43 PM
My clowns were Kismet and Mojo, but Mojo went carpet-surfing (yes...I lost my Mojo!), so now they are Kismet and Junior.

My Potter's Angel is named "Harry"; orange spot blenny is "Spot"; Candy Hogfish is "Sunshine"; and the LTA is "Medusa".

Mostly though, I tend to call them "little buddy" or "little dude". LOL

Tracy

sruiz
11/02/2007, 11:04 PM
I've only named my yellow tang. And i call him "Putty Tang".