PDA

View Full Version : starting a new tank. need lots of help

awholelota
11/02/2007, 01:37 PM
so the last time i had a reef tank was about ten years ago.
touring all of the lfs here in the bay area i'm noticing tons of new products, and new techniques. i see that bio balls are gone and done with and t5ho is the new way to go. so i have questions...

i have a 55gal truvu 36lx20hx18d
i want to drill holes in the back for an overflow and return as well as a closed loop system. how much flow do i need for a closed loop system? how large of a pump should i buy? how much flow do i need for my sump return? how many holes can i drill in a plexi tank? i was looking to drill 8 holes.

i don't have much money so lighting will have to be inexpensive. i know lighting is one of the most important parts of a reef system, but my total budget for equipment, and livestock has to stay under $1000. i was looking at getting 4 or 6 helios 36" t5ho lights, or an oddysea 24" 250 metal halide with pc actinics. i've heard that oddysea isn't great, but how bad could it be? is a 24" light good enough for a 36" tank? will the 4 or 6 t5s be better? it'd come out to be about the same price. i'd be keeping mostly soft coral, a few lps, and possibly a clam or two. are t5hos good enough to get these growing?

if bioballs are gone what do i need for filtration? lfs guys tell me that live rock and a good skimmer should do the job. do i need a refugium? if so what kind of lighting do i need for it? how much lr do i need to keep the bio filtration good?

i'm sure i have more questions, but it's early in the morning and i need more coffee. my name is Boots btw. my parents were hippies.

bertoni
11/02/2007, 02:04 PM
[welcome]

The sticky note at the top of the forum has pointers to a lot of information.

The amount of circulation needed depends on the animals that are kept. For soft corals and fish, 600 gph total flow would be okay. Corals like Acropora do better with much more flow, 1800 gph and up.

The T5 lamps are going to be more cost-effective for that size tank, although I prefer the look of MH. The Aquactinics get good reviews.

Live rock should do the basic of filtration. Around 60 lbs should be fine. Skimmers are good, too, and a handy safety net in case of trouble. A refugium is optional, but nice to have.

wizzbane15
11/02/2007, 04:26 PM
LR and a skimmer is the bare minimum. LPS and SPS would definately beneift witht he addition of some more filtration.

As for T5's, I have a 125 and I run 5 60" T5 HO bulbs. I have never had any problems. If you are really trying to cut some costs, you could buy a T5 balast some bulbs and fabricate your own light bar. I would definately recommend poppin' for some parabolic reflectors on the T5's to maximize their output.

www.premiumaquatics.com sells IceCap T5 parabolic reflectors for a pretty good price

papagimp
11/02/2007, 04:40 PM
Welcome to ReefCentral and glad to hear you're getting back in the hobby. I highly recommend you spend alot of time reading through the various posts on RC, so many different options and ways to go about doing the same thing, so a little research can go an awfully long way towards keeping you in budget. Especially if you spend a little time in the DIY forum :D