PDA

View Full Version : New setup - advice please!!!!

nickplayer
11/02/2007, 11:24 AM
Same thing as everyone else really - freshwater for a few years........ blabla!

I intened to set up a FOWLR tank. I am only using a 70 lt tank as space is now becoming an issue & i am very aware of having to be very strict with stocking the tank!

I intend to use: about 2" of live sand
live rock
an external eheim 2213 ( spare lieing around so thought id throw it in as back up!)
powerhead for circulation
Standard fluorescent lighting - not intending to have any corals etc
Heater

Questions:

How much live rock do you think i will need?? lfs and people seem to say other things?
Is there a type of lr which works best in a FOWLR system?
What powerhead would people recomend?
CUC?? Yes? No?
What material would be best for the external filter?? I no i dont really need it but even if it helps a little i think it is worth it!

Im sure i will be asking many more questions about stocking shortly!!!!!

Thanks look forward to your replys

saltymight
11/02/2007, 12:02 PM
LR 1-2 pounds a gal I also use FIJI. WIth standard ligthing I think Your coralline algae might no grow. DO you have a Protein skimmer if not its always good to have.

wizzbane15
11/02/2007, 12:05 PM
you may want to rething the LR thing. regular flourescent will cause LR to eventually die. You will have spent all that money on LR with no long term viability, IMO.

Piscator
11/02/2007, 12:06 PM
Questions:

How much live rock do you think i will need?? lfs and people seem to say other things?

I would aim for around 20-25 pounds personally.

Is there a type of lr which works best in a FOWLR system?
What powerhead would people recomend?

Mostly personal preference. I like Fiji, but everyone has their favorite. A mix can look nice.

Maxi jets are good. Koralia's very popular right now.

CUC?? Yes? No?

Yep. I like a mix of snails mostly. Crabs eat snails (yeah, yeah, not all crabs eat all snails. Ya'll know what I mean).

:D

What material would be best for the external filter?? I no i dont really need it but even if it helps a little i think it is worth it!

I would use it primarily for increased circulation. Run carbon occassionaly. Look to get a skimmer for better water quality.

Best wishes,

rhythmicfire
11/02/2007, 12:16 PM
Concerning the live rock, people will refer you do different things. My opinion however is that around 1.5-2 lbs. per gallon is a nice way to go. The more rock you have, the bio-filtration these rocks will provide for your tank. Of course, if you're going to be running a large carnivorous fish tank (or a heavily stocked FOWLR), then I think it'd be best to have more live rock then less. I personally like Fiji LR because it is porous, so you get a little more for your dollar. Other than that, all LR do the same thing.

Circulation is a must in any tank, and I am very happy with Hydor Koralias. The provide ample flow in many directions, rather than jet stream flow like powerheads such as aquaclears and maxi-jets. Try to be sure your tank has no stale areas of water flow. Flow also keeps detritus suspended so it can be filtered out by your filtering system.

I would use filter floss to remove any physical waste. Just be sure to change it out regularly (like weekly) to prevent any detritus build-up. If detritus builds up, you will have increasing nitrates which you don't want. People say nitrates don't mean anything in a FOWLR, but I strongly disagree. Even though people don't see any immediate effects due to high nitrates, it could not hurt to keep them as low as possible. Nitrates are not found in high concentrations in nature. Nitrates may also cause a problem down the road with your livestock.

In addition to the floss, you would probably put some activated carbon in to remove any impurities from your tank. Any other nutrient (ie. PO4) reducing medias may also be added to your canister.

You don't make any mention of whether or not your intend on using a protein skimmer. I highly recommend the use of one, contrary to what some others may think. A protein skimmer helps remove waste and DOC's before they enter the nitrogen cycle. A skimmer can help in making water quality control easier on you. It can make the difference between success and failure in a tank. Even if you get a lower grade skimmer...any skimmer is better than no skimmer. A skimmer is usually almost ALWAYS worth the investment.
Hope this helps.

nickplayer
11/02/2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks for your help!

Right what lighting would be most suitable for just lr?? makes and things would be helpfull!

In terms of fish - what do you think would be most suitable for my size tank - looking for something not so "nemo"!!!

Cheers

rhythmicfire
11/02/2007, 12:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11103044#post11103044 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wizzbane15
you may want to rething the LR thing. regular flourescent will cause LR to eventually die. You will have spent all that money on LR with no long term viability, IMO.

Live rock does not 'die' due to a certain type of lighting. It may die in the sense that coralline may not thrive as it would under say HO T-5's or halides, but biologically it will not die. As long as the rock is biologically alive, then you're good. Regular fluorescents are fine for your tank, it will just take a little longer for coralline algae to get going, that's all. Because you don't plan on keeping any photosynthetic coral reef organisms, you don't need any fancy lights. However certain lights (bulbs rather) do bring out certain colors better than others.

nickplayer
11/02/2007, 12:22 PM
No i wouldnt be using a protein skimmer- may poss get 1 at a later date - see hows things go??

Does the filter wool, mean mechaincal filteration?????

cheers

rhythmicfire
11/02/2007, 12:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11103157#post11103157 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nickplayer
No i wouldnt be using a protein skimmer- may poss get 1 at a later date - see hows things go??

Does the filter wool, mean mechaincal filteration?????

cheers

I wouldn't wait to get one. I mean, you could. But the reasoning for a protein skimmer is to help aid in keeping the water quality up by removing dissolved organics from the water...I personally wouldn't wait to find out I am having issues with water quality to get one. Hop onto craigslist and ebay and you will find an abundance of skimmers ranging in price from $20-300. Like most people say, they're well worth the investment.

Scuba_Steve
11/02/2007, 01:24 PM
Coraline actually thrives in lower light, you will be fine. I agree on the protein skimmer, and also want to make sure you will be using ro/di. With that size tank, if you cant afford it, it is economical just to buy it from the lfs until you can. For your filter, I would leave it off of the tank, as it will cause nitrate problems, though this isnt as big of a deal in fowlr. But if you later move to reef, that will beanissue youll have to recify. Truthfully, it isnt needed though with proper live rock. My favorite powerheads are maxijet 1200s, but Ive been wanting to try korilias. For a cuc, being fowlr it depends if your getting any fishthat will eat them, but ifyour keeping reef safe fish I would def recommend one, but a small one. The recommended crews in the stores are way overkill.