PDA

View Full Version : Did I do this right?

bassist6108
11/02/2007, 08:11 AM
Ok, so I got a faucet adapter and hooked up the RO/DI unit last night... but had a few questions (still!):

1. The RO chambers are either horizontal or have a white filter, right? So the chamber with the dark stuff in it is the DI unit?

2. Not sure where the TDS meter is supposed to go - so I stuck it after everything to measure the water going out. Is this ok? Also, it's reading 7 or 8. Is that good enough?

3. There's yellow tubing coming from the horizontal chamber. This is waste water?

Thanks for the help! My fishies and corals thank you!

kawicivic
11/02/2007, 10:29 AM
yes, see below, yes

The TDS should go after everything and should read 0 if everything is good. you may want to see what your TDS is to start with. 7 or 8 is not bad but I think many RO systems can get teh TDS that low so something might be a little off.

Also I don't have an RO/DI so this is all based on knowledge and not experience.

treejohnny
11/02/2007, 02:02 PM
it will take a while for the system to saurate the media and become pure....atleast that is what i was told.....

7ish is fine for before di......the di should take it to 0 or 1

bassist6108
11/02/2007, 02:56 PM
I think the unit has a DI (I bought one online and took it apart and looked at the filter, which was the same as the last chamber of the unit), so do you think the number will lower as the media becomes saturated?

Also, this may be a dumb question, but if I have the TDS meter after the all the filters, should it be set to measure 'in' or 'out'? They should be the same, right?

Thanks, guys, for the responses so far.

treejohnny
11/02/2007, 03:22 PM
if it is hooked up right......the monitor should be alot higher coming in (i have well water coming in at around 600 TDS, pretty high) and out is less than 10

the di part of filter is resin that absorbs impurities in the water

the rest of the vertical chambers are filters (like a window screen)

mine said that it would take x number of gallons before it would produce "good water" if remember right

bassist6108
11/02/2007, 03:29 PM
Ok. This one didn't come wiht a manual or anything, so I'm just going to let it run a while this weekend and see if the it comes out lower. But 7 is still less than 10, so it's still pretty good, right? Thanks for your help!

treejohnny
11/02/2007, 03:53 PM
yes.....7 is good......any idea what your tap water coming in is ??

bassist6108
11/02/2007, 04:06 PM
No idea. Not sure how to measure it at this point now that every thing's all plugged in.