PDA

View Full Version : Salt Questions

Vinnie71975
11/02/2007, 12:14 AM
Hey all what do you think about the following salt mixes? What have you experienced yourself if you have used them? what have you heard others in the hobby say about them?I am especially curious to know what you guys and gals have heard about hW Marinemix Plus BioElements. I didnt Put Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals up cause i know a ton of people use and swear by it, im looking for info on the Other Salts out there.

Oceanic Natural Sea Salt Mix
* All natural sea salt formulation for marine fish and invertebrates
* Micro-Crystal technology offers superior solubility and clarity
* NO nitrate, phosphate, or ammonia - reduces aggressive algae growth

Micro-Crystal formulation dissolves almost instantly when mixed with water. No salt residue means less stress to aquarium inhabitants, superior water clarity, and rapid stabilization. Every batch of Oceanic Natural Sea Salt is triple tested for quality and specially developed with all the beneficial elements found in natural seawater. All natural trace elements plus high calcium and magnesium concentrations promote optimal growth of fish and invertebrates. Contains no nitrate, phosphate, or ammonia to reduce aggressive algae growth.

Benefits at a glance:

* Micro-Crystal technology - Increased water clarity, less stress to fish and invertebrates, and rapid stabilization when mixed with water.
* Complete solubility - Dissolves instantly leaving no salt residue.
* Reduced algae growth - Absence of algal nutrients such as nitrate, phosphate, and ammonia.
* Natural buffering action with KH stabilizers.
* High calcium and magnesium concentrations - Optimal growth of fish and invertebrates.

Seachem Salt Mixes
* Synthetic sea salt specifically designed to replicate marine environments
* Easy-to-use salt mixes dissolve quickly to a clear, ready-to-use solution
* Buffer saltwater aquariums to maintain proper pH between water changes

SeachemReplicate natural marine environments with Seachem premium salt mixes. Enhanced alkalinity buffers aquarium water to 8.4 for greater pH stability. Dissolves quickly to a clear, ready-to-use solution. Marine Salt contains every major, minor, and trace elements so even the most delicate marine fish, invertebrates, or plants will thrive. Reef Salt is specially formulated for optimum concentrations of magnesium, calcium, and strontium. Safely maintains elevated levels of calcium, strontium, and iodide for healthy coral growth in home reef aquariums. Free of nitrate, phosphate, and non-essential components.

Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
* Chemically balanced reef salt supports the most delicate corals and other marine life
* Produced in small batches to ensure homogeneity and consistency of salt mixture
* Produces saltwater that reaches a stable pH shortly after mixing

Red SeaSea salt specifically formulated for use with reverse osmosis water. Natural, evaporated sea salt is enriched with refined minerals to safely elevate calcium levels and buffer capacity. Replicates natural seawater to help support delicate marine life and invertebrates in home reef aquariums. Salt is produced by small batch process to ensure homogeneity and consistency of the salt mixture. Chemically balanced formula is nitrate and phosphate free.

Tropic Marin Sea Salts
* Contains ALL 70 trace elements found in natural seawater, in the exact proportions found in nature
* All elements are completely soluble due to the use of the mixed-crystal method
* Free of nitrate, phosphate, and other unwanted chemicals
* Made from pure, pharmaceutical grade salts

Each grain contains the exact mix of 70 trace elements found in natural saltwater. Unique production process ensures these elements are maintained in solution to provide the natural biosphere necessary to grow and breed delicate marine fish, plants, and invertebrates. Pro-Reef Salt is specifically formulated with optimized calcium and magnesium levels to promote optimal coral health and growth. Its unique buffering system and pH level have been adapted to accommodate the use of calcium supplements or calcium reactors to help simplify the care of even very sensitive hard corals.

Kent Sea Salt
* Contains all major and minor elements PLUS enhanced calcium, strontium, iodine, trace minerals and vitamins
* Nitrate and phosphate free
* Coral-Vite™ ingredients added for superior coral growth and pH stability
* Superior dissolvability
* For reef and fish only aquariums

Kent Sea Salt is a superior blend of all the components necessary to keep marine life healthy in saltwater aquariums. Kent's state-of-the-art production facility insures consistency in its sea salt, batch after batch. Contains Coral-Vite ingredients for superior sustained growth of hard and soft corals and enhanced buffer levels that ensure a stable pH and healthy amounts of all essential minerals. Don't skimp when it comes to salt for your aquarium; cheap salts can be expensive mistakes.

Coralife Marine Salt
* Highly soluble; Phosphate and Nitrate-free formulation
* Calcium enriched and Vitamin fortified
* Rich in trace elements
* Free T-shirt with 150 gallon bucket purchase

Packed in a reclosable container for mess-free convenience, this sea salt helps sustain marine fish and invertebrates found in typical marine aquariums. Contains all essential major and trace elements in optimal proportions. Fortified with selected vitamins to enhance its effectiveness. Highly pure formula ensures the total absence of phosphate and nitrate, so your water quality is never compromised.

Red Sea Salt
* A chemically balanced formula to support the most delicate marine life
* Produces a clear solution that is almost indistinguishable from natural sea water
* No Nitrates or Phosphates

Red Sea Salt is a single, chemically balanced formula that supports the most delicate marine life. It reaches a stable, natural pH shortly after mixing. Contains no nitrates or phosphates and is the most "natural" artificial sea salt on the market, with at least 87% of the raw materials being reclaimed from natural water sources. It can be mixed to any desired salinity and is suitable for marine fish and invertebrates from every sea and ocean. Tests have shown a significant difference in coral growth when using "natural" instead of "chemically pure" salts

hW Marinemix Plus BioElements

Bio-Elements are organic substances, normally not present in an aquarium in the form of well-known "trace elements". Bio-Elements are necessary for human, animal and vegetable metabolism. They regulate to a great extent the growth, vitality and spawning of new species as well as the formation of blood, renewal of cells, and resistance to infectious diseases. hW-Marinemix + Bio-Elements contains all necessary and positively effective trace elements in a balanced concentration. Both Bio-Elements and trace elements are used up in the aquarium; both are equally important, and for this reason, they are available separately in liquid form and should be added regularly to the aquarium.

Sorry for the Ad Hype but its the info they had up!

cloak
11/02/2007, 01:13 AM
The worst salt mix with the best water, RO/DI?

cd77
11/02/2007, 02:14 AM
Hey all what do you think about the following salt mixes?
Zero experience with any of the above listed salts, but you just asked what I think, so here are my uninformed thoughts: :)

TM has been around for years and is preferred by some of the contributers at wetwebmedia, some of whom have probably authored at least one reef book in your library. I'd say it's just as good/reliable as IO, if not more so -- and it's quite popular.

Oceanic I've read requires alkalinity supplements, and a lot of people mix it 50/50 with IO. 'tis all I know.

Of the salts you've listed, Red Sea Coral Pro looks really interesting. I don't know how long it's been around, but the salt mix poll in Reef Discussion shows a lot of people are using it -- I'm really anxious to see a comparative study including this salt, or at least hear from someone who has switched from IO,RC or TM to it.

...aside from that, if it comes with a free T-shirt, then it's earned my respect! I mean.. come on... a free t-shirt folks! ;)

Vinnie71975
11/02/2007, 03:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11101286#post11101286 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cloak
The worst salt mix with the best water, RO/DI?

What do you mean by this?

BangkokMatt
11/02/2007, 04:43 AM
I have used coral life. It was actually quite good. High on calcium (no bad thing), right on Magnesium but low on alk. With the right buffering it came out ok. I only changed because RC and IO became available in Thailand and at the same price.

cloak
11/02/2007, 05:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11101466#post11101466 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Vinnie71975
What do you mean by this?

Blue thumb perhaps.

wizzbane15
11/02/2007, 10:24 AM
I use IO and Reef Crystals. if I had the money, I would consistently use TM. I have had no problems. The IO salt needs a little bit of tweaking, but I prefer that because I can control my supplement levels at that point to my own preferences. TM is the best and closest salt mix I have run across, but $$$$$$$.

I would say no Oceanic, kent, or seachem salt. I have tried them all and are bit hard to stabilize, IMO.

zma21
11/02/2007, 12:05 PM
Oceanic caused tons of nuisence algea in my tank. I know this because the very second i switched to Reef crystals, the algea disappeared.