PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Help

CharAznable
11/01/2007, 11:33 PM
My wife was buffing the outside of our acrylic tank with our buffing mitt but she didn't realize that she had a grain of sand trapped in the fibers. She made a few scratches in the surface. I had an acrylic scratch removal/polishing kit that I bot for just such a problem. I followed the directions and lightly sanded the area with the wet 150 grit sandpaper. I then sanded that lightly with the wet 600 grit sand paper. At this point you can't see through the acrylic area at all. I apply the polish and it gets a little better, but continues to fog up. Did I permanently mess up my tank up or is there a way to salvage it?

:( :( :( :( :( :(

Where do I get the micro-mesh?

bertoni
11/01/2007, 11:43 PM
600 grit is far too coarse for stopping. You'll need some Micro-Mesh, down to about 12,000 or 20,000. I've forgotten the actual ratings. Some of the acrylic kits have Micro-Mesh.

CharAznable
11/02/2007, 12:06 AM
Would any local stores carry it or do I have to order it online?

bertoni
11/02/2007, 12:29 AM
I haven't seen Micro-Mesh in bulk at stores, but I have seen some small acrylic scratch kits that have small patches of it.

CharAznable
11/02/2007, 07:05 AM
Realistically is my tank salvageable?

Playa-1
11/02/2007, 07:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11101672#post11101672 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CharAznable
Realistically is my tank salvageable?

As long as the scratches are not too deep it should be salvageable. They have companies that specialize in media for sanding and polishing. It's doubtful that you will find something like this at a fish store. I would also get a couple of sheets of acrylic and practice polishing it to like new before your do anything else to your display tank.
I have not personally attempted it, however, it appears to be like buffing out a scratch on a cars paint except you don't have to worry so much about taking all the paint off with the buffing equipment. :)
It is normal during the process to have a surface of the repair area to look all scratched and rough. I would expect that your would have a couple of more passes with Much finer grit polishing media.

CharAznable
11/02/2007, 07:29 AM
Luckily they aren't deep scratches. The original scratch is gone. now the only scratches are the sandpaper scratches. Luckily I do have a sheet of acrylic for practicing!

Playa-1
11/02/2007, 07:34 AM
I think you will be fine. I have a 55 that i may be using as a sump and i bought it used with a few scratches on it. I've been meaning to do a little practice and see what it takes to buff them out but i haven't gotten around to it yet :) I would like to get the process down so i will have that in my toolbelt for later :)

Playa-1
11/02/2007, 07:45 AM
I just did a google search for acrylic scratch repair and found quit a bit of information on it. I will be interested to hear how it works out for you .
Good luck

jim_geib
11/02/2007, 01:32 PM
Check out automotive refinish supplier in your area. I know most dupont suppliers super fine wet or dry paper down to 20000 grit.