PDA

View Full Version : how long to leave live rock to die?

hansonfam
11/01/2007, 06:17 PM
Hi there.

Dumb question i know. But i took my tank apart to move and it took some time to get it back up. We'll all the rock that was not in a 30 gallon was in a brute can awaiting the main tank set up. We'll the heater and powerhead at some point got unplugged. So when i took the lid off yesterday it almost made me pass out from the smell. So we have major die off. What i was going to do was just take it all out and let it dry out then add it to the tank with the live rock i do have and let it become live again. I have no fish right now but i do have alot of sps so can't let it cycle in the main tank. So how long for it to dry out and ,ake sure everything is dead?

Thanks
Lisa

uscharalph
11/01/2007, 06:35 PM
Why do you want to kill everything on it? I would rinse and scub the rock and set it in a tub of saltwater with a pump for circulation and a heater. Let it cure.

coast2coast7390
11/02/2007, 01:06 PM
if you want to kill everything soak it 24 hours in a tub with ro/di water and make sure that you rinse well

then put it in a tub with saltwater from a water change with a few damsels a powerhead and a heater

Sk8r
11/02/2007, 07:28 PM
Make three new tubs of salt water, wash the stinking mess in #1, rinse in #2, and settle into #3 with bubbler and hope. This happened to me: all that survived? bacteria, aiptasia, and grape caulerpa.