PDA

View Full Version : Replacing plumbing question

Thinslis
11/01/2007, 05:49 PM
Ok, the siphon break hole in my return line is spraying water against the side glass at such a high rate that it sprays water everywhere.

I've cut the flow through that return line about 70% to keep the spray down but how do I fix this? Replace the return plumbing from the bulkhead up? Patch the hole and drill a new one?

Thank you for any advice,

Percula9
11/01/2007, 07:47 PM
#

Percula9
11/01/2007, 07:50 PM
Get rid of the siphon break hole, replace it with a check valve.

kau_cinta_ku
11/01/2007, 07:53 PM
your hole is supposed to be low enough to be under the water line.

check valves arn't reliable

AZDesertRat
11/01/2007, 08:20 PM
Forget both the drilled siphon break hole and a check valve, both fail. Place your returns just below thesurface so once the level siphons down to that point you have a positive air gap and it will stop every time, no doubts and you can sleep at night. Maintain enough room in your sump at all times to contain that calculated amount and you have no worries. My 100G only backsiphons a maximum of 4 gallons worst case so I always maintain that amount of room plus a fudge factor in my sump at all times.

Playa-1
11/01/2007, 09:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11099462#post11099462 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AZDesertRat
Forget both the drilled siphon break hole and a check valve, both fail. Place your returns just below thesurface so once the level siphons down to that point you have a positive air gap and it will stop every time, no doubts and you can sleep at night. Maintain enough room in your sump at all times to contain that calculated amount and you have no worries. My 100G only backsiphons a maximum of 4 gallons worst case so I always maintain that amount of room plus a fudge factor in my sump at all times.

This advise is fool-proof :)

Thinslis
11/02/2007, 06:15 AM
Now the trick is getting the pipe out of the tank.... Grrr.....

thanks for the advice about the siphon hole.