PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me

bpoore89
11/01/2007, 03:07 PM
A while ago I used Melafix to take care of an ich problem in my tank. I didnt think it would work and it was only a temporary fix till my qt tank was set up. To my surprise it worked and I have been ich free for over a month and a half now. My problem is, my protein skimmer is making air bubbles that are too fine, and just pour back out into the tank, and also the collection cup over flows. I've changed the carbon three times now, and done tons of water changes to try to fix it but nothing seems to make it even a little better. Someone please, help?

aquarius77
11/01/2007, 03:38 PM
Take the skimmer off and completely clean it, run it in a bucket full of vinegar. Eventually you would think the melafix would get pulled out, you might have to skim real wet and let it overflow into a gallon jug or something. Water changes cant hurt.

bpoore89
11/01/2007, 04:50 PM
Ok. Yeah I figure that after all this time the melafix would get pulled outt but I guess not lol. We'll see how it goes

aaron L
11/01/2007, 06:24 PM
What type of skimmer are you running?

bpoore89
11/01/2007, 08:34 PM
Im running a coral life. I took aquarius77's advice and let it run. Its been about two or so hours and its all cleared up and back to normal operation. Thanks so much guys!

Myrddraal
11/02/2007, 12:07 PM
The active ingredient in melafix is tea tree oil, meleluca (sp?). Since it's an oil, it's probably messing with the surface tension of your water. IIRC, carbon will take it out for you.