PDA

View Full Version : Protein Skimmer problems??

shaneginer21
11/01/2007, 02:13 PM
Any help would be great right now cause i have no idea if i'm doing something wrong but i have my seaclone skimmer going... i put in the live rock yesterday and today i've noticed it's starting to foam in the cylinder which is what i think it's suppose to do but in the collection cup the foam is just going into it and turning into water... which mean my collection cup fills up in about 1 minutes with just water... what is wrong??? and i've also noticed that the top of the water has little white particles on it which i think is from the skimmer?? is that wrong also?? or is that normal?? i hope anyone understands this and any help would be great.. thanks!!!!!!!
-SHane

reefergeorge
11/01/2007, 04:00 PM
What type of skimmer is it?
Is the water level adjusted all the way down?
If the skimmer is new it will need time to break in. This usually takes around a week if you didn't use vinegar.

MattG
11/01/2007, 08:17 PM
It's a new skimmer so give it some time to break in. What i would do is close the air valve off completely and just let the skimmer run like this for a week or so. Since the skimmer wont be getting any air it should not overflow.

After 5-7 days open the valve up slightly and if it doesn't overflow just keep opening it up to the position that works the best.

Also make sure that you aren't using stress coat as this will cause a skimmer to overfoam.

The little white specs floating on the top of the water is most likely dust or other debri. The best way to get rid of it is to either use a surface skimming overflow or point a powerhead towards the surface.