PDA

View Full Version : Make some noise!

~SIRENA~
11/01/2007, 09:26 AM
Or in this case, don't make so much noise.:eek:
How much noise does your system make? My return pump is not the quietest, but the built in overflow is quite the screamer. It sounds as if I have a waterfall in my living room...
Is there any way to cut down on the noise? All feedback is welcomed.
Thanks, Adriana

tspors
11/01/2007, 09:29 AM
What do you have in your sump. Is that where the waterfall noise is coming from??? What type pump do you have? I had a loud problem until the filter pad, rock was added to the sump. I have a 2100 gph pump Gen -x and it now all just has a quiet hum.

~SIRENA~
11/01/2007, 09:33 AM
The waterfall is in the display tank in the overflow built into the back. I have a little giant return pump.

tspors
11/01/2007, 09:34 AM
Almost sounds like you may be pulling some air. Lower the return pipe once and try that.

Reefer07
11/01/2007, 09:35 AM
It's loud, especially since my tank is right next to my head in my college dorm....
I have an HOB and a powerhead on it.
Most of the time I am too much under the influence of something to care and I just pass out.

papagimp
11/01/2007, 09:54 AM
I just turn my TV up more. A 90 degree on my drain pipe made a nice difference as would using a durso or standpipe. My return pump is a mag12 and doesn't really make any noticable noise in my setup.

Piscator
11/01/2007, 09:59 AM
Well, there is the "normal" sound of water moving down from the overflow, which is somewhat like a bathtub being filled. Should be rather soft and consistent overall.

Then there is the "abnormal" gulping, hissing, gurgling type sounds that often occur and can be improved in a variety of ways depending on your specific setup.

If you had a pic or could describe your setup specifically, I'm sure someone could give you some helpful feedback.

Best wishes,

christyum22
11/01/2007, 11:36 AM
u probably need more water if the sound is very loud

jquailus
11/01/2007, 05:27 PM
try turning down the pump going to the display, this will slow slightly the water entering your overfllow and the sound should be quieter, your flow rate will suffer slightly

~SIRENA~
11/01/2007, 07:24 PM
I don't have a standpipe. I've been reading up on it and I'm going to try that.
FYI:
For the drainage, the tank came with plastic 1" tubes with holes everywhere so all the water goes through it. The highest the level in my built in overflow ever got was approx 3", so the water drop from the top of the display tank is 25" - a long way down- explains the noise.

kau_cinta_ku
11/01/2007, 08:01 PM
I have a ball valve after my overflow so I can raise the water in it so it don't have to drop very far and is almost silent

BangkokMatt
11/01/2007, 08:10 PM
I had the same problem. Building a Durso Standpipe solved it. They are very easy to construct and add.