PDA

View Full Version : tiny tube in rock

nick96ss
11/01/2007, 07:33 AM
yesterday i found 2 tiny tubes coming out of my rock one had some feathery stuff
out of it the other had nothing what do i have here. do i have amphipods or feather duster worms i hope i explained clearly
oh i did see some minute creature scurry around the tank

papagimp
11/01/2007, 07:52 AM
sounds like a feather duster to me. , the tiny minute creatures scurring around could be pods, need a pic for a postive I.D. but odds are their in their somewhere.

nick96ss
11/01/2007, 09:04 AM
kool means the tank is on it's way it's only been running 2 weeks
thnx

papagimp
11/01/2007, 10:30 AM
Since you're only at 2 weeks, expect alot of interesting things to pop up over the next few months. Probably going to see large amounts of pods and critters for awhile, these will eventually die back some but you'll start noticing stuff all the time. I've had my tanks up for over two years now and still find new and interesting things to brag about. Heck, I woke up one morening to find a nice little colony of mysid shrimp livin' it up in my fuge. They've since gone away, but I doubt that's the last I'll see of those things.

masonicman
11/01/2007, 10:53 AM
Since your talking about kool things. I have this clear looking feather duster looking thing on one of my rocks. Can't figure out what it is. Can you help try identify without a pic

kaihonu82
11/01/2007, 11:07 AM
yea, you can find some pretty neat things on your live rock.

nick96ss
11/01/2007, 11:42 AM
ive had my 75 gallon cichlid tank up for years , but i don't think i have been so excited about the hobby as i am now
being i am totally new to sw
i set up 2 tanks a 30 gallon and a 2.5 gallon the same day the 30 is still cycling getting rid of red slime right now i can't believe the life forms coming out of that tiny tank
can't wait for the larger one to get going
again thx for the replies

christyum22
11/01/2007, 11:57 AM
could be alot of things post a pic

papagimp
11/01/2007, 12:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11095859#post11095859 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by masonicman
Since your talking about kool things. I have this clear looking feather duster looking thing on one of my rocks. Can't figure out what it is. Can you help try identify without a pic

really would need a pic, but I have many dwarf feather dusters that have almost a clear looking "crown" on em. That's the little feather part sticking out the tube. And their are many many many types of dusters, some so tiny you'd never know they were a duster of sorts and then of course the much larger guys that ya see at the lfs all the time. If ya wanna see some cool looking dusters, search for the christmas tree worms. So awesome looking, I just saw a massive mutlicolored colony of these last weeks, blues, reds, greens, ect. ect.

nick96ss
11/01/2007, 01:35 PM
i'll try to get a pic tonight
but these things are very tiny maybe the size of a pen tip

papagimp
11/01/2007, 01:48 PM
hhhmmmm, now ya got me thinking hydroids

nick96ss
11/01/2007, 01:52 PM
what i seen was a tiny tube like the size of a coffee stir straw and this thing opened up from in side it then went back in kept doing that
i was just looking up amphipods and i did see a tube amphipod maybe this is what i have