PDA

View Full Version : dead rock !

Faisal1976us
11/01/2007, 05:12 AM
Hi ,,

i have 60 lb of live rock i take it from my friend from one year , i dont put it in my tank i throw it in my garden , so it was one year dont toch water ! can i use it in my reef tank , i have 70 lb of live rock in my tank all covered on coralline algae , and is it useful in the future for my reef tank , it will become same live rock !

dinoman
11/01/2007, 06:34 AM
:) It'll be fine as long as it didn't get in contact with a whole bunch of "lawn chemicals" (fertilizer, insecticides, herbicides, etc.). Rinse it real well to get all the dead bugs and dirt and stuff out of it then it wouldn't hurt to soak it like you would for DIY rock just to be on the safe side.

capn_hylinur
11/01/2007, 09:21 AM
I would definetly cure the rock in a separate tank or plastic tube--changing the water frequently

tspors
11/01/2007, 09:27 AM
If you add the dead rock with live it will take about 6 months for life to re start. I did this also. Only if you are starting a tank! The rock is most likely bleached from the sun. Drop the rock in boiling water first then scrub with a hard brisstle brush. Then intermix with live rock. Keep the lights off for about a week. Then introduce lights and do frequent water changes. Go about 1 month before adding snails. Wait for some good algae build up. Good luck all shold be well,.

Faisal1976us
11/01/2007, 11:17 AM
is it skimmer necessary !

WaterKeeper
11/01/2007, 11:21 AM
Not necessary but very helpful in removing organic waste before it decomposes to ammonia and other bi-products. In keeping quality water in one's tank every tool helps.

christyum22
11/01/2007, 11:29 AM
cure the rock it should be fine to use,, scrub and rinse as many times possible then all u need to do is seed the dead rock which u already have some live