PDA

View Full Version : MH Ballast question

dzones
11/01/2007, 12:33 AM
I found this ballast today and was wondering if anyone could tell me if I could use it over a nano. I would design a box around the socket of course. The actual socket is a regular bulb size and not the larger MH size I have seen before.

What kind of bulbs would I need for this if it is usable for a reef tank???

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/95997pic3.jpg

TIA

JaredWaites
11/01/2007, 08:32 AM
It says its 70W, so I'd be looknig for 70W MH Bulbs and see if they have different ends on them, if not replace the Mogul socket to fit what you need, if you can.

cannarella
11/01/2007, 10:52 AM
That looks like a F-Can ballast where the capacitor is built in the black box. I agree with JaredWaites above. See if you can find a 70W MH lamp that you can use and you will be good to go.

dzones
11/01/2007, 11:08 AM
ok looks like I may just have to change out the socket. The only bulb in a 70w MH to fit that standard socket is a 4000k which would just be regular style lighting. I think I would be better off re-wiring the socket to something more suitable where I could have more selection of bulb type.
So any recommendations?
Can a DE bulb be readily wired to a mogul style by a simple socket replacement?

There are currently just 2 wires (black and a white) connecting the existing socket.

cannarella
11/01/2007, 12:46 PM
You could easily put on a mogul socket. I am not as familier with DE lamps. But I am sure that some research can turn up some useful information on any compatability issues.