PDA

View Full Version : Uploading Pics and Video onto Computer

GOOD (G)REEF
01/05/2001, 06:22 PM
Hi!

I just got a Sharp Viewcam for Christmas, and I would really like to put some of the video and still recordings of my tank up on my web page with it. The only problem is, I need a special hook-up for my comp. (I will get it this week end), and I need some good editing software that will also allow me to upload this pix onto the computer. Can anyone suiggest something? I would really appreciate any help. Thanks!

-jon

carolina98
01/05/2001, 07:27 PM
Hi Good (G)Reef, I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but the image editor which has the most user friendly interface, and the one I use the most is Paint Shop Pro. Here's a link to download the free 30 day trial software.
http://www.jasc.com/download_4.asp
HTH,

GOOD (G)REEF
01/05/2001, 07:38 PM
Thanks caro!

Sorry if I wasn't very clear. I will try to clarify. I have this really great videocamera that I want to take pictures with. I need to know how I can put the pics on my computer (what software to use). You know, I need a cable to hook my camera up to my computer, then software to upload the images via the cable. I would then also like to be able to add special effects etc. to the video and pictures. More of a movie-maker type thing is what I am looking for. SOmething not too expensive either. It's funny though- I was d/l'ing psp for another reason just before you replied!

carolina98
01/05/2001, 08:03 PM
jon,
It's not you, it's me! I'm ignorant when it comes to video software. But was thinking if you were trying to edit/resize pics that PSP would be the way to go. Sorry I couldn't help. Good luck, can't wait to see your results.

Flame*Angel
01/05/2001, 08:18 PM
Jon - you're going to need something in or attached to your computer for your video camera to plug into. I think the quickest and easiest way might be to get something made by http://www.dazzle.com they are also one of the cheaper methods. They sell a "break-out box" that you can just plug into your printer port. The box has ports (plug ins) for the cables that would hook up to your video camera. It also comes with software that you can use to edit the video once you get it on your computer.

Here's an example of a video I did using their Digital Video Creator and my JVC digital video camera (2.4Mb) <a href="http://www.sjwilson.net/cleo.mpg">cleo.mpg</a> just to give you an idea of the quality and resolution.

This wouldn't be considered a very high-end way of dealing with digital video but if you'd rather put the dollars in your tank this is the way to go. The quality is good for web presentation. If you want to go more professional you're going to need a fyre wire card installed in your motherboard.

GOOD (G)REEF
01/05/2001, 08:41 PM
Thanks! Yeah I am looking for one of the cheaper ways to get the video onto my computer and edit it a little bit too. Thanks for the info. I will look into it.

stealth
01/05/2001, 08:42 PM
GOOD (G)REEF,

If it is a new model camera like a sony it most likly comes with a FireWire Port and editing sofware. My borther-in-law digital 525 model comes with a FireWire port plus the software. What you have? and what you have for a computer. You might need to get an editing card to import the video.

---

I saw it is a sharp which model and what OS you have on your computer
Hartman

GOOD (G)REEF
01/05/2001, 08:54 PM
It's a Sharp Viewcam is all I know. It is the basic model number (probably first one listed). it came with no software. I think it does have a port for it, but it didn't come with a cable. I don't know what kind of software my computer has for this. it is a few years old. think I have it and i don't know it? Either way I need the cable, and I am almost posistive that I do not have thew software.

stealth
01/05/2001, 08:58 PM
GOOD (G)REEF,

Your really need to know all the peice before you buy

1) What is the exact model on the Cam
2) What operatating system do you have? Windows95, Windows98

Their are 2 ways you can go about this. the simplest is buy a S-video capture card like a Matrox TV card. It come with the cables/software.

the more expensive is the FireWire(1394) and FireWire card for your computer. This is the most addvance but you will need to buy a bunch of stuff.

Hartman

rhwimmers
01/05/2001, 09:16 PM
Hello, well I guess specs would be very important here...what type of ports are on the camera...my JVC digital camcorder has, RCA, JLIP (which is a SERIAL connection..very nice and easy) and it has the 1394 FIREWIRE port...this is what I would recommend... You need a firewire card on your PC also...probably a PCI card would be easiest-cheapest..
http://www.orangemicro.com makes EXCELLANT firewire PCI cards WITH great software for 69 bucks..cant beat that..comes with ULEAD studio i think..check out there page they sell everything...very great brand though..
let me know if ou have any more questions about this..im just getting into it myself...
ross
p.s. to do the whole video computer thing youll need a LARGE fast hard drive...i would recommend 7200 RPM and 20g...but really depends HOW you will use it...

GOOD (G)REEF
01/05/2001, 09:25 PM
WOW! I had no idea it was going to be this complicated. Thanks for the help. I got the camera as a Christmas present and I don't know the exact specs on the comp. I will try and get the model number for the camera and port names for the camera and computer. That program that rwhimmers mentioned sounds like what I want. I don';t know though. I am tired. Talk to you tomarrow.