PDA

View Full Version : Adding Live Rock for the first time Question

blakesreefbruz
10/31/2007, 07:42 PM
When adding live rock for the first time, do you guys usually add all the live rock that you would like in your tank and let it cycle? Or are you able to add a bit of live rock (to get the cycle started) and add more later on, will this start the cycle again when you add more live rock?

The reason im asking is that because live rock is so expensive, (im getting a 120 gallon display) i don't think i can afford all the rock i want straight up. So either i can save money til i can afford all the live rock i need or i can add a bit now and add the rest later (in say a month or two).

Also, is starting the quarantine process for a fish at the start of your tanks first cycle a good idea, therefore cycle lasts a month while your fish is being quarantined for 4-5 weeks?

kau_cinta_ku
10/31/2007, 07:45 PM
it is best to add as much LR at the start as you can. but if you can't afford it all at the start you can add LR later but you will need to cure it in a seperate container before adding it to the main tank.

and the QT idea is a good one. that way the fish will be ready for when the cycle is complete

demonsp
10/31/2007, 07:53 PM
If you can add most upfront then your better off. But you can add at anytime , you just need to cure it before adding to the main tank. I think its best to use base rock for the bulk and LR to finish it off. This is less expensive and you lower the chance of unwanted hitchhickers

bmwaaron
10/31/2007, 08:31 PM
I totally agree with Demon SP, I think the best way is to order Base rock from one of the sponsors, you get allot more and you cut down the chance of bad hitchhikers dramatically.
Just get a few pounds of LR from someone you trust to seed your tank. They usually have some in the Refugium that they can donate to seed your new tank.

blakesreefbruz
10/31/2007, 09:04 PM
so for my 120 gallon tank (4x2x2) what would be the weight of the base rock i should purchase compared to live rock.

And does anyone have any experience wit any of these -> http://www.advancedreef.com.au/home.php?cat=308

Playa-1
10/31/2007, 09:06 PM
um, You could save some money...
Then buy some base rock and live rock and introduce it all at the same time. :)

kau_cinta_ku
10/31/2007, 09:08 PM
80-20 base to LR will be good. but also the more LR to base rock the less time it will take to seed the base rock also.

never heard that company. you can also check out Macro rock or the base rock from twopartsolution. they have some really nice base rock.

jefnalyssa
10/31/2007, 09:19 PM
I might have this wrong as I'm sure people will say so. Another option is to buy the rock you can afford now. Then later buy some more. Just don't have any fish in there. The second cycle hopefully wouldn't be as long then.