PDA

View Full Version : Hole size problems

jmpatri1
10/30/2007, 12:02 PM
I bought a 125 gallon tank about a year ago and have yet to set it up. The main problem with this tank is that there is a 2" hole drilled in the back. There are no bulkheads that will fit a 2" hole correctly, according to marinedepot.

I would either like to find a bulkhead that will fit a 2" hole, or re-drill the hole to the next largest size. According to marine depot the next size up is 2 5/8". I can't seem to find a diamond hole saw anywhere in that size.

Anybody know where I can find the right size hole saw?

Would drilling this hole larger be a mistake? Is the glass likely to break if I try to re-drill it?

Benny Z
10/30/2007, 12:36 PM
redrilling sounds awefully risky...

maybe just put a uniseal in it? 1 1/4" uniseals use a 2" hole...

panaboy95
10/30/2007, 01:09 PM
have you checked savko some of there bulkheads that are sch 80 fit in different size holes. sch bulkheads take bigger holes so it will be for smaller pipe than a normal bulkhead. I just looked and there is a sch 80 bulkhead it is an inch bulkhead and fits a 1 7/8 hole. that is only 1/8 inch smaller. actually 1/16 since you will have that gap all the way around. I would use that one.

here is the link
http://www.savko.com/portal/bulkhead.asp

panaboy95
10/30/2007, 01:12 PM
I would never use a uniseal outside my sump. if something on your plumbing gets bumped it will leak it is not a positive seal. a bulkhead is a lot safer

jmpatri1
10/30/2007, 01:19 PM
Great advice.

The Savko site looks like it also lists a bulkhead that fits a 2" hole. I'll probably order one of each and see which works best.

Dave Dunbar
10/30/2007, 06:55 PM
Bulk heads will break if "bumped" where as a uniseal will have some flex if bumped the same way Bulk heads are known to break glass if bumped also. Best bet would be to go with a uniseal and brace the pvc to something solid. Very risky to redrill a hole.
Dave

jmpatri1
10/31/2007, 08:28 AM
I ordered both bulkhead sizes. I'm not too worried about bumping the bulkhead since it will be behind the tank. Knowing my luck it'll happen though.

I am going to be using this hole in my tank for a return line. What type of fittings are recommended for directing the return flow?

panaboy95
10/31/2007, 01:28 PM
my new 150 has six bulkheads in the back of it and it is 1/2 inch glass it is going to take one heck of a bunp to crack that glass. i would not be too worried. i never had any touble with my 75 and it has been bumped several times

Benny Z
10/31/2007, 01:29 PM
nm

medic29
10/31/2007, 07:06 PM
Sounds like you're fixed, but if the need arises, I've re-drilled a couple of tanks and haven't had a problem, not a lot different than the first drilling. I have the proper sized bit as well.

treejohnny
11/02/2007, 03:41 PM
another idea if your not wanting to resize hole......silicone plate glass and cover hole, then drill the size hole that you would like elsewhere