PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Silver Surfer

J. Montgomery
10/29/2007, 10:41 AM
So I picked up a Diamond Goby from Atlantis yesterday, and I was all excited about getting my sand cleaned :D

Then this morning I was looking at the tank and noticed my cat looking behind the tank. I peeked around and found the mummified remains of my new goby :sad1:

Keeping corals is easy, its the fish that are the real p.i.t.a. :furious:

surfnvb7
10/29/2007, 11:14 AM
thats how i lost my diamond goby......they seem to get freaked out at night and jump

phurst
10/29/2007, 11:20 AM
Damn, I keep waffling back and forth on getting one. This isn't helping :)

Hopeful Reefer
10/29/2007, 12:10 PM
Man...I've gone through 4 of the buggars...

1st one was free from Bradley...got crushed in the sand on the way home from C-ville...
2nd one went carpet surfing first night...

At this point, Joe from Fishworld recommended that I put gutter guard across the back of my tank...that way if they try to "surf" they will bounce back in to the tank and not try that too much more after that...

3rd one was doing awesome, until I overdosed my tank with kalk last weekend...kept the sand sparkling...he bit the dust during the overdose...
4th one, not sure...he is MIA the last day or so...not sure if it is related, but I was picking up my hood off the tank and got off balance...tried to have my 16 year old help me and he ended up aiming one of my Seios at the sand...blew sand towards his little "hotel" as my wife called it under the rocks...within a short time after that I used a turkey baster to suck the sand out of the hole but haven't seen him since...not sure where he is or what happened to him...didn't go surfing and he isn't in my sump either...and when I did this new tank, all rocks were pressed down through the sand to the glass before filling with water so I know he didn't dig under a pillar of rock and get crushed...

Wife wants me to go with a different sand sifter next time...me, I'm leaning towards a 5th diamond goby...

rick s
10/29/2007, 02:23 PM
I've had 5. The first one, we actually think choked to death because he had a good size pebble lodged in his mouth. #2 escaped from Alcatraz only to find that life was no better on the outside. 3-5 starved to death/wouldn't eat. They slowly withered away to nothing.

Add all that to; them constantly burying my corals when they were alive, and I'm done with them.

J. Montgomery
10/29/2007, 02:28 PM
Anyone know the price of a Diamond Goby at Fish World?

Hopeful Reefer
10/29/2007, 02:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11076186#post11076186 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by J. Montgomery
Anyone know the price of a Diamond Goby at Fish World?

$39 + tax...

bradlyallen1
10/29/2007, 02:37 PM
I bought a 4" fat ugly pink/black sea cuccumber and sand sifting starfish from Atlantis as I did not like all the cloudiness in my tank from the goby. They do an equally good job and are essentially maintenance free.

bradlyallen1
10/29/2007, 02:38 PM
Jason, the dead one I gave you was $30.

J. Montgomery
10/29/2007, 03:10 PM
My sand sifting star recently died after a year of not keeping my sand clean (apparently it takes them about a year to starve to death). They're supposedly quite harmful to the sand fauna. I'd suggest getting rid of it.

Hopeful Reefer
10/29/2007, 03:26 PM
I only had about a day of sand cloud in my 30g when I first put my goby in there...after that I had no issues with cloudiness...and the sand was looking great virtually overnight...

cnelson
10/29/2007, 08:42 PM
I lost 2, one in the overflow and not sure where the other one went. hmmmmm... havent seen him in a really long time and he was a monster!!!