PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI for small tanks

OMORDN
10/26/2007, 07:22 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just joined this forum and I'd like to start off by saying that I am a beginner in this. I currently have a 30gallon tank to start off with. I know it'll be harder to maintain, but right now... it is the only thing I can afford.

Anyways, I know all of the components I am going to need to start my aquarium. My question though is.. is the RO/DI really necessary or is it only necessary for bigger tanks? I have been looking to see if anyone has mentioned this but so far I haven't been successful.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this.

demonsp
10/26/2007, 07:29 PM
Clean filtered water or many problems later. And i think its more important in a smaller tank though its very important in any tank.
Your tap may be fine but if 1 year from now you have problems then its great to rule out water source upfront. Also tap water may test fine but after continued use readings can climb and if you get 1 bad batch then things could go haywire.

If its cost then just start with an RO unit and upgrade later. Your fish and coral will love you for it.

saltymight
10/26/2007, 07:30 PM
Yes rodi units are necesary for any size tank...you might be able to get away with distilted water but that up to you. I have a 20g with a ro/di unit. if you use just tap you will be adding in phosphates and other unwater minerals and metals.

OMORDN
10/26/2007, 07:58 PM
Thank you for your replies. Since I am new at this, can any of you recommend me to a site or perhaps a RO/DI unit for 30g tank? I realized there are so many choose from, but I have no idea which one my tank would be better off with.

saltymight
10/26/2007, 08:20 PM
I got mine off of ebay. it took like maybe 30 minutes of use for my dissolved metals to reach 0 usually a 5-6 stage system works fine. since you are on a budget i would recament that.

dsn112
10/26/2007, 08:35 PM
I buy mine from my LFs. Its .50 cents per gallon, fill your entire tank for like $11

moze229
10/26/2007, 08:35 PM
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/

Call The Filter Guys. Get their number from the website and talk to them. They only sell quality stuff, their prices are great, and they will spend the time on the phone to answer any questions you might have. RO/DI is the heart and soul of your reef besides the fish and/or corals you want to keep :) It is by far, in my opinion, the single most important piece of equipment you must have.

Matt

virginiadiver69
10/26/2007, 08:37 PM
Do your self a big favor and stay with a unit specifically designed for reef keeping such as you will find with any of RC sponsors. Look for full size canisters, a vertical vs. a horizontal DI canister, a pressure gauge and a auto shut off valve and last but not least...live customer care. Ask around and you will find that thefilterguys and spectrapure usually win the this one hands down.
Buying your water from your LFS is a good temporary solution too.

jefnalyssa
10/26/2007, 08:41 PM
You can also buy it from your grocery store. It says filtered water but in the fine print it says prcessed w RO. 65cents

xxpipedreamxx
10/26/2007, 08:43 PM
Airwaterice, the filter guys, spectrapure... you can not go wrong there.

Kdocimo90
10/26/2007, 09:15 PM
i would get one from a site that specializes in RO and RO/DI systems...dont bother getting expensive brand name ones

dsn112
10/26/2007, 09:28 PM
I buy mine from my LFs. Its .50 cents per gallon, fill your entire tank for like $11

OMORDN
10/27/2007, 10:50 AM
Wow, thank you all for all your help! I will look at every recommendation I was given and see which one fits me best! Thanks again!