PDA

View Full Version : need a little advise on dosing

SALTWATERSIG
10/24/2007, 01:43 PM
i currently am dosing limewater from a diy 1 gallon gravity feed into my sump at the rate of about 1 1/2 - 2 gallons of limewater during main lights out period to maintain ph. now i am going to attempt using a doser pump on a timer to let it dose at the time i want and gravity feed from a 5 gallon limewater container so that i should be able to avoid switching gallon containers twice a day (plan on adding on kalk reactor in near future). my question is ...
does the dosing pumps pull water out of container so that pump does'nt need to be lower than limewater container? or does the pump need to sit lower than limewater so it has a constant gravity feed pressure in it? thanks for help in advance.

sergio

MrMikeB
10/25/2007, 02:27 PM
Most pumps are designed, well, to do just that - pump the liquid from one to another. Although head pressure is typically something you worry about in large amounts of liquid, dosing pumps move small qtys of liquid and can usually handle any placement of the pump vs. the source and target (within reason). I typically recommend keeping your pumps higher than the source or target, so that if you were to spring a leak at the pump, you are less likely to dump all your liquid out due to gravity. If a hose simply falls off...well...