PDA

View Full Version : i dont know

lifesworksataol
10/24/2007, 07:20 AM
i dont know the requirements for cheato, but what i was thinking was to put it into a tank (like a 10 gal) and putting it outside in the sun to let it grow. so many of my friends need it and i love trying to help people out and nobody sells it. i wonder if it would be too hot for it or need to hook a power head up. i was thinking i would have to seal it up so no bugs or rain would get in there. just seeing what you all thought of the idea. it grows great in my tank, but as it grows i am taking the rock out of my sump to use in a different tank.

djlmedic
10/24/2007, 08:10 AM
" A Fish Wish " in Saint Cloud sells it.

chrisstie
10/24/2007, 08:19 AM
I think most stores have it but it may be hidden in a cabinet with a sump.

Melevsreef has a great walkthrough on what you need to grow chaeto. I know it can be done very inexpensively with a small light that I think you can get at homedepot - check out his link here http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html

Heck I also am about ready to trim some out of my tank its grown so much. Granted its a small refugium so it'd only be a clump but ya have options

dugg
10/24/2007, 08:59 AM
The way mine grows, i'm suprised that everyone doesn't have a ton of it. I throw about a gallon bag of it in the trash every week. I think the only problem with having it in a tank by it's self outside, would be supplying it with enough nutrients. I think it needs more than just light. I know when my nutrients get low in my tank, it stops growing and will even die back. I suppliment mine with iron.

chrisstie
10/24/2007, 09:22 AM
Oh also I'd be worried - you would probably need a cover outside as well I guess keep it on a porch or something so rainwater\dew doesnt get into it.. then again whatevers in rainwater nowadays may make it grow more ;p

dugg
10/24/2007, 09:47 AM
It wouldn't be the rain water i would worry about. I would worry more about the mosquito fogger truck, and the nieghbors spraying for bugs and weeds. Water is the best sponge in the world for taking in pollutants. Anything that gets in the water, and is eaten by the cheato, could be released into the tank water when you put it in your sump.

Anyone that ever needs any cheato, and is up in my area, is welcome to stop by and get some. I always have atleast a gallon bag to spare and it's FREE.

lifesworksataol
10/24/2007, 09:54 AM
iam not looking for any.
that why i said seal the container so rain and bugs dont get into it.
but maybe to keep all the right stuff in there i could put my water changes into there - switching out the water. just a idea i am kicking around.
i hate to get it from different places, one of my friends got a bad batch from someone and it wiped out his tank to the point he had to drain it and start over.
does it need water flow i wonder and could it stand the heat?

dugg
10/24/2007, 11:54 AM
Not sure about the heat, but i keep an MJ1200 pointed under mine. It blows under and hits the wall and rolls over the top. When i didn't keep the flow on it, it seemed to clog with debris and die back. It's worth a try if you have a clear rubbermaid tub. That is if you have enough people that need it. I have thrown away a small mountain of the stuff myself. I harvest it from the reef sump and place it in the eel tank for a week to soak up nitrates there and then out the back door.

lifesworksataol
10/24/2007, 08:19 PM
thanks guys

anyone know about the heat? if it would be too much or not?

bigginapk
10/24/2007, 08:46 PM
dugg YGPM on the chaeto

dugg
10/24/2007, 09:20 PM
returned