PDA

View Full Version : i was wondering

lifesworksataol
10/24/2007, 07:16 AM
i am buying the two little fishes phosphate reactors. i will have 4 in one tank. i was wondering if you could hook them in line to each other just like a ro/di machine. it should be the same gph and psi as if i was using it on 1 of them right?

dugg
10/24/2007, 08:52 AM
I would think you could run as many in line as you want to. I just made one using PVC last weekend, and it cost me $6, and $2 of that was a stick of 3/4 that is enough to make 20 more. I run mine off of the bypass from my return pump. I had thought about making another one to run in line also for my carbon.

chrisstie
10/24/2007, 09:24 AM
Wow that's quite a lot. You could probably do that. I have one running with a mini jet 404 and its just the right amount of pressure.

You want the media to kinda just slowly be perculating (percalating?) you know like the coffee? just slowly bubbling and churning at the top.. It works like a siphon with the in and out you'd just be making the line longer so I suppose it could work

Swirlygig
10/24/2007, 09:56 AM
dugg,

how did you make yours...i am curious! :)

dugg
10/24/2007, 11:34 AM
It is two 3/4 to 2" reducers, two 2" slip joints, one 4" piece of 2" PVC and 3/4" lines in and out. I used needlepoint backing screens in both ends to keep everything inside. The water enters from my return bypass through the bottom, and flows out the top though a 3/4" pipe that is on two 90's and goes back under the water surface. I pulled it out for a few pics, but i can't get a good pic of it installed because it sits behind the skimmer. It took all of 5 minutes to make.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/dugg/100_1640.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/dugg/100_1641.jpg

Swirlygig
10/24/2007, 12:27 PM
kool

cham
10/25/2007, 08:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11041523#post11041523 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dugg
It is two 3/4 to 2" reducers, two 2" slip joints, one 4" piece of 2" PVC and 3/4" lines in and out. I used needlepoint backing screens in both ends to keep everything inside. The water enters from my return bypass through the bottom, and flows out the top though a 3/4" pipe that is on two 90's and goes back under the water surface. I pulled it out for a few pics, but i can't get a good pic of it installed because it sits behind the skimmer. It took all of 5 minutes to make.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/dugg/100_1640.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/dugg/100_1641.jpg

Nice work.

How do you see the media to check if its getting too little or too much flow?

dugg
10/25/2007, 08:21 PM
I am just going by the water coming out, but with it being on my return pump bypass, it probably only has about 100gph of flow. I do have a piece of 2" clear PVC that i could use for the middle section now that you say something lol. I don't have a phosphate test kit, but judging by how fast the algae is dieing, i would say it's working real good.

cham
10/25/2007, 08:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11053130#post11053130 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dugg
I am just going by the water coming out, but with it being on my return pump bypass, it probably only has about 100gph of flow. I do have a piece of 2" clear PVC that i could use for the middle section now that you say something lol. I don't have a phosphate test kit, but judging by how fast the algae is dieing, i would say it's working real good.

I would definately update with the clear PVC. From time to time the media will cake up if the flow is too low and you have to open the valve full blast for a couple seconds to break it up. Other times flow will be too strong and media will grind up and make it into your tank (big disaster). The flow has to be just right.

A low tech way of guaging when you media is exhausted that I discovered is to route a clear return line past your refugium light. Once it starts to allow P04 through you will see small amounts of algea grow in the tube.

HTH :)

P.S. Don't buy a P04 kit. NONE of them are any good, you have to click off the big coin and get a colorimeter. A better way is to watch the algea in your tank.