PDA

View Full Version : ro filter question

mitchwelt
10/23/2007, 09:47 PM
need new ro filters i have a 6 stage setup i got about 1 year ago on ebay.. anyone know what filters i should use...?
is filmtec membrance good? found them on ebay 26.00 for 75gpd plus shipping of 10 dollars..

AZDesertRat
10/23/2007, 11:37 PM
The 75 GPD Dow Filmtec is the most popular RO membrane. If you are going to replace the membrane make sure you get a matched flow restrictor if its a different GPD than the original one.
Membranes should last 3 or so years so you may not need a new one unless you find your rejection rate is way down.
For prefilters and carbon blocks, go with the lowest micron ratig you can find, the closer to 1.0 or even 0.5 microns the better, they will do a better job of protecting the membrane which is their primary job.

mitchwelt
10/24/2007, 01:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11039073#post11039073 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AZDesertRat
The 75 GPD Dow Filmtec is the most popular RO membrane. If you are going to replace the membrane make sure you get a matched flow restrictor if its a different GPD than the original one.
Membranes should last 3 or so years so you may not need a new one unless you find your rejection rate is way down.
For prefilters and carbon blocks, go with the lowest micron ratig you can find, the closer to 1.0 or even 0.5 microns the better, they will do a better job of protecting the membrane which is their primary job.

do i need all 6 filters , one says for taste and odor on it..
i was going to replace that with a di filter instead
also how do i know the flow rate of my restrictor?
i was looking at these on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160158493396&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

AZDesertRat
10/24/2007, 09:52 AM
You don't need 6 stages, its a sales gimmic. You need a prefilter, carbon block, RO membrane and a DI filter, thats 4 stages. The second carbon is often a worthless GAC cartridge to make up for poor quality carbon and the final taste and odor cartridge is not needed unless you are using it for drinking water.
Use one of the existing 10" canisters and replumb it for a DI filter using a refillable DI cartridge and you are in business.

1badbrd
10/24/2007, 10:16 AM
ask question form the filterguys.biz (RC sponcer), ther are great and prices are great and quick shipping

saltysteven
10/24/2007, 10:35 AM
go to www.thefilterguys.biz they have helped me alot and priced well