PDA

View Full Version : Help

RayRay
10/23/2007, 01:37 AM
I just got home and my tank is 1/3 empty and still leaking from somewhere. It's 2:35 and ifs anyone's awake and can take some coral call 407 421 9777. This is a nightmare!

Mrs Smith
10/23/2007, 05:33 AM
Oh no!

I have an empty 29g you're welcome to in the interim.

nauti1us
10/23/2007, 06:39 AM
$#@$&^(&^&^ !!!!!

Take all the rock and put it into rubbermaid bins. K-Mart/Walmart sells them and they're not too expensive. You'll probably need about 4 or 5. Fill each container 3/4 with rock and and the rest saltwater. A simple airstone is all you need in each container. The rock will last for days with no problems. If you think you can solve the problem within 48 hours, simply wrap or cover the rock with paper soaked in saltwater... The rock can handle it.

Corals can go into coolers with air stones along with fish temporarily. Otherwise, Parse out the fish and corals to friends and neighbors. Don't forget about Marcye. She might have room for temp storage... while you assess and repair the damage.

If... you're fortunate enough to get the whole mess cleaned up, tank filled etc... run tons of carbon and phosban if you have it. Might not want to run the lights right away either. Give it time to recover from the stress...

Call me if you need me.

chrisstie
10/23/2007, 08:20 AM
Holy cow :( Not good :( You have my greatest sympathies. While on the east side of Orlando with obligations to my schedule if there is anything I can do at all to help and I can just let me know.

I might have room for a few corals if you need but I'm expecting a livestock shipment this morning which is why I'm tied to my house until it comes.

I also recommend giving Marcye a call I think she may have room at the farm to put some but its really up to her just don't be afraid to ask

If you are able to get your livestock into containers your corals should be fine without light for at least 3 days and bounce right back. Longer may involve some stress for some of the more light demanding ones but its definitely time enough to sort everything out.

lifesworksataol
10/23/2007, 08:54 AM
i am afraid to call you this morning in case you are sleeping now, but i have a 90 setup with nothing in it. although i live in deltona, i am working in dr phillips area today. let me know, i will pm you my number as i am leaving soon.

bigginapk
10/23/2007, 10:11 AM
Same hear on this end if you need help just give me a shout ! I have some space and an extra tank if you need to use it for a while !! its a 46 gallon bowfront but it will get ya by ! Let me know !!
Chad

UnKwnReefer
10/23/2007, 05:48 PM
I know what you're going through. My tank cracked in February and I was scrambling to get everything out.

Ray, I realize it's not a 220, but I have an 65gal with a Remora HOT skimmer, if you find you need it while your assessing/repairing. I also have a 24" dual compact light that can be used over it.

Let me know if you need any of it. I'll PM you my cell.
Diane

Me No Nemo
10/23/2007, 06:54 PM
Ray, yell if you need some real estate for a while. I have some extra room if you need it! Marcye

RayRay
10/25/2007, 01:36 AM
I wanted to thank everyone for the responses, the emails, and the calls. Both, people that I know very well and a few that I barely knew reached out to help me in this crisis. It has kept me sane. It makes me think of the people who make our club so wonderful. I haven't kept up with everyone on this nightmare. I'll fill you in now...

I came home a little early Monday night as I was coming down with the flu. I had already made arrangements with my boss that I got my shift covered for the next day. With a fever I said there was nothing in the world that could keep me hitting the bed and being asleep 5 minutes after being home... I was wrong.

My tank looked like I was doing a water change. The tank was making noises and you could hear and see water coming from the back of the aquarium. You could smell low tide and electronics burning. I couldn't see where the water was coming from. I hit some breakers and pulled all the plugs from the wall. I grabbed a 55-gallon barrel and started to drain the tank into that, I grabbed coral and tossed them into the barrel. I realized that everything would sting everything else but at the moment it was the best I could do. I then grabbed some coolers and spread some corals out. Still, water is pouring out of the back... You tend not to notice that you’re tired when there is that much adrenaline in your system. Also, you don't notice how hot your body is when 1/3 of it is submerged in your tank grabbing things...

One might believe that the fish and shrimp that you've cared for over the years would swim up to you to be netted since you are trying to save their ungrateful little lives... But no. They want to hide in every little crevice in the back of the approximately 600 pounds of live rock that are slowly moving out of the water. More coolers and containers went into the "DAMN IT I HAVE A LOT OF LIVE ROCK" move and save the fish debacle. Oh, in case you were ever wondering, it is ridiculously easy to net fish in a quarter inch of water... I got most of them. I am assuming some them are still in the rock.

I got a little silly towards the end. I was as drained as my tank. I had a conversation with God and told him that having the flu AND a catastrophic tank failure on the same day should be flagged as piling on.

I have placed 90 % of my surviving corals with friends. The other 10 % will go to some other friends who have offered some room for them (I'll be calling ya'll on Thursday) I don't know how much I lost yet. I don't think everything that was pulled out of the aquarium will survive. The survival rate would have been better had I placed everything the next day. But that wasn’t in me. I slept today over 20 hours. I feel liked I finally beat the flu. But my delay certainly stressed the corals.

My tank (I think) failed somewhere in the back bottom seam. It drained completely dry. I'm still in the "first aid" and "shock" part of this. I'm not to the "replace and go on" yet. At a minimum, my tank will have to be replaced. I need to see how bad the damage is to the electrical circuits to the house. Some power is out. Also, there is the perfume of low tide in the carpet... I have to dry out the carpet and wall before putting another aquarium there. This all has to be dealt with first...

I'm not getting out of the hobby. I told Matt in a "But, other than THAT Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?" sort of moment that there were two good things that will come out of this.

1) I will finally have a predrilled tank

And

2) I have finally solved my Xenia problem

PS - This is also on the ORCA site. Since I cried out for help on both sites, I thought I would post a follow up on both sites.

PPS - If you hear of a 220 or larger for sale...

dmbedard
10/25/2007, 07:02 AM
Ray, I am so sorry for your troubles.

Tampa Bay forum has a big tank for sale.

I know we don't know each other, but if I can help, call. I'm in Brooksville.

Diane

cowboyswife
10/25/2007, 07:07 AM
Oh what a total nightmare. Im so sorry!

waterfaller1
10/26/2007, 07:11 AM
How horrible, so sorry for your troubles. Hope everything turns out well.