PDA

View Full Version : what time of day is best time to introduce new fish?

pogiboy67
10/22/2007, 06:28 PM
so whats the general consensus as to when to add a new fish to a tank? day night? i hear night time.. but then wont that mean a fish might come in contact with an anemone as i have 2 in my tanks

MalHavoc
10/22/2007, 06:44 PM
It's generally a good idea to do it with the lights off. Fish are pretty stressed when going into a new environment. Having the lights off gives them a chance to hide. Maybe compromise and do it with just your actinics on or something?

justinpsmith
10/22/2007, 06:56 PM
Maybe ask the fish if he is scared of the dark though first. He may need a nightlight...

demonsp
10/22/2007, 07:47 PM
I dont think it really matters. You should turn lights off after he is added to lesson the stress. But later in the day would be better.

Playa-1
10/22/2007, 09:49 PM
I wouldn't add him at feeding time if you have larger fish in there :)

ledford1
10/22/2007, 09:57 PM
As long as you have the money and the room for another, it's always a good time to add a fish.

Really, I think any time of day is fine. I make sure the tank is well fed before adding a new tank. I think the established fish can be a bit grouchy if they're hungry and see a new fish that could compete for food. And I always turn off the lights before adding a new fish (and about 2 hours afterward), so that everyone goes back to their little homes, giving the new guy a little time to himself as he explores and gets comfortable.