PDA

View Full Version : Deep Sea Yellow Gorgonian Frag

shiveley
10/22/2007, 06:02 PM
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/images/309_yellowgorgonian1.jpg

I have a 4 inch (or so) frag of Deep Sea Yellow Gorgonian that looks remarkably similar to the one pictured above. I've had this particular piece since February. I'm offering this frag for free in the spirit of promoting the Pay it Forward concept of aqua-culture.

*Please note that this variety of gorg is non-photosynthetic and does require regular feeding; it is also best placed in an area of mild current to facilitate food capture (not too weak, not too strong - just enough to stimulate polyp extension and prevent sediment accumulation).

Note: Pick-up will be at Sac State...

zgma
10/22/2007, 06:39 PM
Hi John,

I am very interested. If it is not spoken, when I can meet you up in Sac. State/

-John.

shiveley
10/22/2007, 07:29 PM
zgma, have you maintained a gorgonian previously? They're not easy, and have a justifiably poor record of survivability (they're notoriously difficult to feed).

I'm not questioning your experience (which is probably a good thing since I don't know you) I just want to make sure you know what you're getting yourself in to...

This one seems to be doing pretty well so far, and regularly exhibits polyp extension...but that doesn't necessarily mean it's feeding adequately, or at all. Just know that you very well might have to target feed this guy to keep him going.

If after all that you still want him, let me know.

BBCoach4
10/22/2007, 07:40 PM
Hi Shively:

I'm interested if it's available. I'd like to keep it w/ my seahorses.

TeeLapia
10/22/2007, 08:15 PM
Good one... Your Sea Horses would love that piece! I would ask for it, but don't have any sea horses and they look great w/horses.

Reef n' Madness
10/22/2007, 08:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11029252#post11029252 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BBCoach4
Hi Shively:

I'm interested if it's available. I'd like to keep it w/ my seahorses.

How are they doing? Have they grown!? :lol: They would look great with a gorgonain like that. Has their color changed or do some of them still have some orange and yellow in them?

zgma
10/23/2007, 12:16 AM
Hi John,

I will have to pass it this time -- never maintained a gorgonian before.

Thanks

philter4
10/23/2007, 01:01 PM
This gorgonian is Diodogorgia nodulifera from the atlantic.
While it is true that it has a difficult reputation several things contribute to that. First no one knew what it fed on, and even when they found out the tecnology of the foods wasn't what it is today. Also many of them are handled roughly and not fed at the collection/wholesalers.
If you have had it since feb, touch the one of the arms between 2 fingers if it feels gritty it is not healthy which means even though the polyps open it is not feeding or not getting enough of the food.
I have logts of experience with them and I feed powdered coral frenzy, frozen cyclopeze and frozen cyclops, along with the usual DT's and such, and I have one that is growing and been in my nano from june of 2005.

Fragmented
10/23/2007, 06:54 PM
I would be happy to give it a home if there isn't anyone else that wants to give it a try and it can find its way to the next meeting.

I have a few gorgonians. One I have had for 5 years that has more than tripled in size. I do target feed them. I have one right now in rehab. There is always room for another. I find these creatures fascinating.