PDA

View Full Version : HOB Overflow Question

Onealjc
10/22/2007, 05:13 PM
How well do HOB overflows work, always hear about them constantly loosing the siphon, im trying hard not to have to drill into my tank. Any thoughts or suggestions.

JayB1224
10/22/2007, 07:18 PM
HOB's can be very reliable if set up properly. The best ones are the U-tube styles. I have a lifereef HOB that has been running for 2 years without problem. has never once lost siphon. hope this helps. im sure more will chime in.

jcpatella
10/22/2007, 09:25 PM
I also have a lifereef. I've only had it for a little over a month now, but it's the last thing I worry about failing in my setup. I'd still much prefer a drilled tank, but I didn't want to tear my current tank down.

http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html

Check out that link - it's the prefilter box we're talking about. I've also heard of other U-tube designs, but I haven't seen any of them first-hand. Unless you just don't want to drill the tank, you're not going to save much money getting a quality HOB overflow, though.

jener8tionx
10/22/2007, 09:57 PM
I built my own and it even got tested when power went out. Using a powerhead my siphon is restored if lost and no water losses yet!

IPT
10/22/2007, 10:00 PM
I have a CPR and I hate it. I Can't wait to get my drilled tank set up. I don't have an aqua lifter and that probably would have made a difference but I've had 2 floods so far. Plus, the little bleeder valve clogs fairly quick and I need to clear it. Drill, and be worry free.

sjm817
10/23/2007, 07:50 AM
If you use an HOB, get a good one. A good U Tube overflow (Lifereef is da bomb) is very reliable. The C Siphon models such as the CPR are not.

coralnut99
10/23/2007, 07:59 AM
U-Tubes are rock-solid. Lifereef is the cadillac, and as the link Onealjc provided shows, they've taken U-tubes to a whole new level. Americle is also a solid option, and the one your LFS is most likely to be able to get.

hebygb
10/23/2007, 08:34 AM
I too have two tanks that are using HOB (with U-tubes)... One by Eshopes the other a Lifereef. They have never lost siphon in 2 years. I am so comfortable with the functionality and dependability that one tank is 570 miles away and being watched by my 16 yearold son that would rather not be disturbed from Halo3. The other is on my Lifereef, and quite frankly, I havent even looked at it despite shutting my pump down regularly for water changes. I am not big on a HOB that requires the use of an aqualifter to work... that is another point of failure.

Onealjc
10/23/2007, 08:46 AM
Good, thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. Lifereef seems to be the route to go.

driftin
10/23/2007, 09:17 AM
I've used lifereef in the past with great success too. I'd suggest keeping the flow rate pretty high through it so bubbles don't get trapped at the top of the U. That's the only risk IME.

sjm817
10/23/2007, 09:42 AM
You only need ~ 200 GPH or so to keep bubbles from accumulating.

hebygb
10/23/2007, 10:46 AM
If you are getting bubble at the top of your U-tube, something isnt tuned quite right. The U-Tube should always be completely filled with water. I myself have taken the added precaution of using extra long U-tubes that come withing a half inch of the bottom of the internal and external box.

ZrC
10/24/2007, 08:16 AM
And I thought my Americle overflows were outdate( although they never lost siphon in about 5 years), I was about to get the CPR type ones! The only thing I like about the Americle overflows over Lifereef is the skimmer box is held one by 2 wingnuts rather then one. I think the biggest concern about the HOB is having the skimmer box getting loose and falling off, then your whole tank is drained an extra 4-5 inches.

MrRyanT
10/24/2007, 12:32 PM
I built my own u-tube type HOB overflow out of PVC. Cost was around $10 and that includes the Krylon Fusion Black spray paint that I painted with. Been running for about 3 months now with no problems and it gets shut down pretty much every day while I feed, so power outages are definitely not a problem.

hebygb
10/24/2007, 12:49 PM
Eshoppes uses two wingnuts as well... my Life reef does only have one... They still work flawlessly. Amiricle seems to be very similar so i would imagine just as functionally sound.