PDA

View Full Version : Planning ahead

long-time-dead
10/21/2007, 04:57 PM
Hi guys and gals

I am bringing my family over to Orlando next summer for a two week holiday in July.

Apart from the usual stuff that most people do/see, I hope to visit a few LFS in your area to see what Stateside reefers have at their disposal.

I know I cannot take livestock home with me (I wish....) but some dry goods might be viable :)

I'll be staying on International Drive but will have a hire car so travelling around is on the cards to Kissimee etc. as I do not want to spend my time in queues at themeparks.

Where do you recommend I visit ?

Have you any great tips for things to do and see in the area that isn't "the usual touristy stuff" ?

Thanks in advance !!!!

chrisstie
10/21/2007, 09:16 PM
If you are able to, for LFS check out Sea in the City for a really unique experience :)

For the not-so-usual touristy stuff I recommend a few things.

One is Old Town right on 192 really close to I-drive where you'll be staying. It's a mile or so length of specialty gift shops (one sells just socks, another rocks and minerals, and other strange themes) and on Saturday nights there's the Saturday Night Cruise. Hundreds of cars from the 1920s-1970s line up for a cruise down the town with many old custom hot rods and just really beautiful cars. There's lots of live music, restaurants, bars, general stores, ice cream, etc. If you're not looking for Mickey Mouse this is definitely off the beaten path!

If you don't want to wait in line for rides but still enjoy a more creative atmosphere I recommend still visiting the other places Disney has to offer- they have an area that's got some nightclubs, a place with more unique shopping and restaurants (House of Blues where there are concerts, Rainforest Cafe themed like a jungle with some fish tanks ) etc.. As well as some of their hotels with great themed restaurants.

You would pay to park in the disney system but you can even ride the monorail around to the different hotels and parks just to look without having to pay anything else.

July in Florida is VERY humid and VERY hot. If it isn't raining it really feels like its at least 100 degrees and you will easily sweat and sunburn. Many of the folks I know coming from europe are usually fair skinned and need to be careful about being out in the sun so make sure you've always got some sunscreen on hand.

If you really enjoy aquariums and such you may also want to check out Discovery Cove. This is a "theme park" put on by Sea World but it is one where you can go and snorkel with dolphins, sting rays, fish etc in a simulated natural environment. They have a program with dolphins where they'll video you and your family with them as well as an aviary with birds and all sorts of neat things. I would say if you really enjoy all aspects of nature it would be a must see.

jus10kase
10/22/2007, 05:33 PM
A trip to one of the springs for some nature interest. Juniper Springs is my personal favorite, with almost 7 mile canoe run downstream, and a ride back to park. And the swimming,picnic, nature trail, camping.

long-time-dead
11/14/2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks for all the advice - certainly a lot to go on.

Now the cheeky question.....

I'll be arriving 26 June 2008 for two weeks. If anyone is planning an LFS trip etc, please let me know and I'll hopefully squeeze it into the agenda.

It would be great to have a chat with a US reefer and see how the hobby differs from over here in the UK.

Pterodactyl
11/14/2007, 09:17 PM
We will be having our monthly meeting on June 28, 2008. If you can fit us into your schedule you should stop by.
I am not sure where it is yet, but details will be posted on the ORCA Website at www.o-r-c-a.com

Keep us posted, we would to chat with you also.