PDA

View Full Version : RBTA question

cowboyswife
10/18/2007, 10:05 AM
After I moved my RBTA clones into the new tank, they got bubbles. I dont know if its a good or bad thing, but I know theyre really pretty!!! Does anyone know why the bubbles appeared out of no where? From what Ive heard, clones arent supposed to bubble at all.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/beccabowden/anemone-1.jpg

Aquaman
10/18/2007, 10:48 AM
Nobody really knows why the bubbles form or go away, its been speculated that nutrients, lighting, calc, alk levels have to do with it but nobody really knows for sure. All RBTA's will have the capacity to form bubbles though.

cowboyswife
10/18/2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks for info!

Pacific Reefs
10/18/2007, 02:28 PM
Nic nem. I had a very large GBTA and it would bubble after it digested its food. But it still is a mystery...some people have 2 btas in the same system and one will bubble the other won't.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/PacReef/DSC01628.jpg

lifesworksataol
10/18/2007, 11:54 PM
yea all of mine do it from time to time. anyone have 1 that split to 3? mine did. long story. i know its a bad thing, but now i have 3 in that tank instead of 1 and they are all living and happy.

sytanek
10/19/2007, 06:17 AM
lol Jason, glad everything worked itself out alright. :P

If I could get my big rbta to split even just once I would be happy. lol

cowboyswife
10/19/2007, 06:19 AM
Hey, the more the merrier. :) Mine have had bubbles since the day after I moved them into the new tank. Maybe they like the halides better than my T5s. I dunno.

cowboyswife
10/19/2007, 07:10 AM
I was so excited when mine split. The female would kick the male out of the anemone at night, so its nice that they both have their own beds ;)

lifesworksataol
10/19/2007, 08:07 AM
well you know how to do it now - not that i would ever try it... lol

chrisstie
10/19/2007, 08:17 AM
Everyone is right so far it is pretty much a mystery.

Some of the more anecdotal ideas behind the bubbling anemone lately are that it gets long when its hungry and reaching for food versus bubbling up when its content and no longer wants any

cowboyswife
10/19/2007, 11:41 AM
I dont think thats true. I have always fed my anemones twice a week, and they have never bubbled until the tank move.

Me No Nemo
10/19/2007, 12:12 PM
Beautiful anemone!

I've also read a rather interesting theory that says when they bubble the expansion of the tissue allows for more area to be exposed to light. If true, that would explain the expansion under brighter lights and might be why, after eating, the bubbles deflate. They may bubble less under lower light to preserve resources similiar to sebaes which are often white with very short tentacles when stressed but after a time, exposed to proper light and food will often color up to a healthy purple/grey and the tentacles elongate to the point they look like very different anemones altogether than what you began with. Just a thought.

cowboyswife
10/19/2007, 12:43 PM
That totally makes sense! Thanks Marcye!!