PDA

View Full Version : High phosphates from Cycling ok?

DevouR
10/24/2002, 07:18 AM
I am cycling a 29gl & brown dust is starting to cover the SB & LR?
Is this normal during a cycle?
Is is high phosphates ( silicates )?
I only have about 18LB of LR atm , but plan on getting more.
I have a small whisper filter hooked up along with a prizm protein skimmer.
ATM I only have a few turbo's in , should I add some hermits?
Its only been going for about 5 days.
thx

MalHavoc
10/24/2002, 07:33 AM
a brown film during an initial cycle is normal, especially if you used tap water which contains silicate. Snails will clear it off once ammonia and nitrite are zero, and using RO/DI water in the future will prevent if from happening again.

DevouR
10/24/2002, 08:20 AM
I used all LFS salt water.
I have heard that sinthetic salt ( making your own ) is better, is this true? If so what is the best brand?
Since its not a huge tank I just figured buy the water.

Also For top off on my other tank & this I use the tap water filter (http://www.aquariumpharm.com/catalog/aquarium/apaaq175.htm) . Is this thing really good enuf? ( yes i like short type lol ). I am seriously thinking about getting a RO/DI unit, but I dont know if I should get my hob fuge first?
Anyway thx:)

MalHavoc
10/24/2002, 08:24 AM
Whether or not the LFS water is any good depends on how they made it. For all you know, they are making it with tap water which could be the cause of your dinoflagellate problem.

I use Instant Ocean salt. I like it. Other people have other opinions about the salt that they like to use.

I'm not sure how effective that tap attachment will be. I've always gone with full blown RO/DI water.

griss
10/24/2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by MalHavoc
I'm not sure how effective that tap attachment will be. I've always gone with full blown RO/DI water.
I have tried the Tap Water Purifier (TWP) in the past. The cartridge on them expires really quick and needs replacement which is costly. I even tried using the TWP post RO and the resin still expired quickly, much quicker than a DI cartridge that you get with RO/DI.

IMO, buy a RO/DI unit. It will pay for itself in the long run and is much more conveinient than buying and transporting water to your home from the store.

Griss

DgenR8
10/25/2002, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by griss

IMO, buy a RO/DI unit. It will pay for itself in the long run and is much more conveinient than buying and transporting water to your home from the store.

Griss

Well, that's about it in a nutshell!
I even hooked up my RO/DI to top off my tank automatically.