PDA

View Full Version : Where to find Mrs Wages Pickling Lime

surfjeepzx
10/16/2007, 03:22 PM
What store in Central Florida has anyone found Mrs Wages Pickling Lime at? I've tried Waldomart, Publix, Target, and haven't had any luck. Thanks

Mrs Smith
10/16/2007, 04:40 PM
My little cheapie supermarket has plenty. Or maybe it's Ball's, but it doesn't really matter. I'd be happy to pick some up for you if you want.

cham
10/16/2007, 04:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10985096#post10985096 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mrs Smith
My little cheapie supermarket has plenty. Or maybe it's Ball's, but it doesn't really matter. I'd be happy to pick some up for you if you want.

Where is this supermarket?

Mrs Smith
10/16/2007, 08:08 PM
It's actually an insurance salvage place, so there are no sure bets, but I saw some there the other day. I'll swing by tomorrow and buy what they've got if you guys want. It's called "Sacks on Edgewater" and is near Edgewater and Forest City Rd in north Orlando.

It's right around the corner, and pickling lime can usually be had for around a buck a container. It's not expensive. How much do you all want?

Danielle

cham
10/16/2007, 08:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10986822#post10986822 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mrs Smith
It's actually an insurance salvage place, so there are no sure bets, but I saw some there the other day. I'll swing by tomorrow and buy what they've got if you guys want. It's called "Sacks on Edgewater" and is near Edgewater and Forest City Rd in north Orlando.

Ahh yes. I happen to know one of the owners of that place too. Can't believe I didn't think of it before.

Mrs Smith
10/16/2007, 08:12 PM
I love that place! Dirt cheap, a little dented, but the way to go.

mrcrab
10/16/2007, 11:06 PM
Pickling lime seems to be a seasonal thing in the large chains.

surfjeepzx
10/17/2007, 01:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10985096#post10985096 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mrs Smith

I appreciate the offer, but I live on the coast near Daytona and work at Orlando International Airport. I'll try to see how far that place is from my usual run to work.

Thanks

cham
10/17/2007, 01:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10991915#post10991915 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by surfjeepzx
I appreciate the offer, but I live on the coast near Daytona and work at Orlando International Airport. I'll try to see how far that place is from my usual run to work.

Thanks

Pony up the $40 and get a 5 gallon bucket full of the stuff and be set for a couple years.

You aviation techs are cleaning up anyway! ;)

mfp4073
10/17/2007, 01:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10991915#post10991915 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by surfjeepzx
I live on the coast near Daytona and work at Orlando International Airport.

:eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

now thats a commute!

Mrs Smith
10/17/2007, 03:03 PM
Unless you come down I-4, it's likely way out of your way. I live off I-4 and Lee (exit 88) and it's right here. I was just thinking if you would be at one of the ORCA meetings, it would be easier, that's all.

surfjeepzx
10/17/2007, 07:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10991992#post10991992 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cham
Pony up the $40 and get a 5 gallon bucket full of the stuff and be set for a couple years.

You aviation techs are cleaning up anyway! ;)

We do OK :D

If the Pickling Lime works as some claim and it's indeed the same as Kalk, (I've read mixed reviews) I plan on buying a bulk container.

surfjeepzx
10/17/2007, 07:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10992009#post10992009 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mfp4073
:eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

now thats a commute!

Yes it is, and I've been doing it for 10 years! It does add to the work day but it's time well spent. I get to clear my mind, think about stuff or nothing at all. :crazy1:

jade2122
10/17/2007, 07:43 PM
Can you give me directions to the place off of 1-4 and Lee? I don't live far from there and have been thinking about switching to that. What is the difference if any between pickling lime and kalk?

surfjeepzx
10/17/2007, 07:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10992681#post10992681 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mrs Smith
Unless you come down I-4, it's likely way out of your way. I live off I-4 and Lee (exit 88) and it's right here. I was just thinking if you would be at one of the ORCA meetings, it would be easier, that's all.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate the offer. I looked up the crossroads you gave and it is just off I-4 on my way to work.

I'm going to take another shot at Waldomart. It turns out I was looking in the most likely isle in the store but not the right isle. From what I've discovered it's located in the coffee maker isle? Go figure. But if it turns out not to be so then I'll leave early one day and swing by there, it sounds like an interesting place to check out.

While I'm thinking about it, if I get off at Lee Rd and head west where is it located? What should I look for? Thanks

surfjeepzx
10/17/2007, 07:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10994799#post10994799 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jade2122
Can you give me directions to the place off of 1-4 and Lee? I don't live far from there and have been thinking about switching to that. What is the difference if any between pickling lime and kalk?

Supposed to be the same but you have to make sure and get the food grade Pickling Lime. It's more pure and supposedly the same. Do a search if you can get the function to work here and you'll find lots of info. Also try looking at twopartsolutions.com

http://www.twopartsolution.com/

This is the same guy that ran the maxijet mod website for a while. Thay sell lots of good bulk stuff.

Mrs Smith
10/17/2007, 09:23 PM
Alright, but it's not a sure bet. Sacks is a little place next to "Community Thrift Store" at the intersection of Forest City and Edgewater. The store is on Edgewater. It's a weird 3-way intersection, but the store is on the corner with the Dollar store (across the street from the defunct WinnDixie)

Hours are either 9am or 10am to 6pm. It's a jumble of goods, but the pickling lime was in the aisle (2nd, I think) with the tomato sauce/rice/pasta/other sauces, on the right side as you walk in the door. Don't bother asking anyone - stuff gets moved around a lot.

It's a tough place to describe - it's a free-for-all, really, with random stuff scattered around. I love it because it's like a treasure hunt, and everything is relatively cheap, depending on what fell off the truck. :)

From Lee: Drive west to Edgewater, turn R on Edgewater, go straight through the light at Forest City (first light) and turn right into the shopping center.
Or you could just come by my house, as I live right off Lee.

surfjeepzx
10/19/2007, 02:58 PM
Hmmm, sounds like an interseting place. I may have to stop by just to check it out, treasure hunts are always good.

bigginapk
10/19/2007, 09:47 PM
Publix in Mount dora has 1lb. jars of it for $2.59. If anyone needs some that is going to the next meeting just let me know and I can pick it up for you the next time I grocery shop and you can just square up with me at the meeting.

mr.ocean
10/19/2007, 10:21 PM
I stopped into Sacks today and bought the last 2 containers. $.99 each. Really wierd place, great deals though. Do they sell damaged items for other grocery stores?

saltwater2642
10/21/2007, 03:11 AM
I have seen it at every walmart I've been in BUT its in households by the plates and cups not the food section by the pickling jars on the top shelve.

surfjeepzx
10/24/2007, 06:05 PM
AH HA! So a third trip is in order. I tried the coffee isle, and the coffee maker isle with no luck. Also tried asking the stocking staff with no luck. So I'll try the household isle. Is this where the paper plates are?

fish4jun
10/24/2007, 07:24 PM
walmart at sandlake they have a lot.

surfjeepzx
10/31/2007, 05:28 PM
Success at last! I went back to wallyworld yesterday and looked in the plate and cup isle with no luck. Then I started looking in the isle that had kitchen utensils and such. I saw the sign that said canning supplies and there they were on the top shelf. They were regularly $2 each but they were on sale for $1. So I bought 2 jugs of the stuff. They also had the Balls lime right next to the Mrs Wages. I just grabbed 2 of the Wages. Now that I'm thinking about it I should go back and get the rest at that price.

One thing I noticed is the jug of Mrs Wages is slightly larger than the similar size of Kalk but it weighs less. I'll have another look tonight at the label and see how much volume is in both.