PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI sanitization/cleaning

mg426
10/16/2007, 12:23 PM
In the past I have read a couple of threads describing how to sanitize an RO/DI unit with regular household bleach. I cant remember the procedure so anyone who knows please advise me. Thank you

mg426
10/16/2007, 02:23 PM
?????

AZDesertRat
10/16/2007, 02:35 PM
Shut the water supply off. Disconnect the 1/4" line going from the carbon block up to the RO membrane at the membrane end. Unscrew the prefilter and carbon housings and remove the old filters. Add 2 to 3 table spoons of regular unscented bleach to the prefilter housing and screw the empyy housing back on. Open the water supply and let the bleach circulate through the housings and out the 1/4" line you disconnected. You may want to let it sit for a few minutes once all housings are full. Once you are done flushing and do not notice a chlorine odor, shut it off, dump the water, install the new filters and reinstall the housings. Open the water supply and let it purge all the air out of the housings before hooking the 1/4" line back up and you are done for another 6 months or year. I do it every 6 months since it only takes a couple of minutes.
If replacing the RO membrane you can skip removing the 1/4" line and circulate it through the empty RO membrane housing too. Just don't let any chlorinated water get to the membrane.
Bleach is very strong at 5% or 50,000 parts per million so a few spoons is more than enough to do the job, more is not better in this case.