PDA

View Full Version : Currnet USA Nova T5 HO fixture

James11
10/16/2007, 08:57 AM
Anyone have this fixture running on there tank or use to have one? Just curious about how well they work and the light ouput, are the individual reflectors and do like the fixture. Thanks in advance. Pics are welcome of them on your tank.

fishysteve
10/16/2007, 11:43 AM
I have the 18 inch version on my nano. Good color. It hasn't been set up long though.

James11
10/16/2007, 01:53 PM
anyone else use this fixture?

down and outman
10/16/2007, 02:38 PM
I have the 48" one, had it for a year. My house glows! I don't run the fan, no need to, and it is noisy. I wish it had blue moonlights. I was wondering if I could switch them out. Does anyone know? I do like it. The plastic light shield pulls out for easy cleaning.

jmait769
10/16/2007, 03:17 PM
This is my tank with a 4 bulb Nova at the rear and my own two bulb <a href="http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=920710" target="_blank">version</a> in the front. The Nova is a single reflector. I like mine but if money was no object I would go with an ATI Powermodule!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g208/souleman381/100_1693.jpg

I have changed the bulbs that came with the fixture to all Giesemann.

In my front fixture:
Actinic+
AquaBlue+

Nova:
Midday
AquaBlue+
AquaBlue+
Actinic+

HTH

Jay

pIankton
10/16/2007, 03:57 PM
I used one over my 75 and had great results. Depending on the depth of your tank, that's the issue. I'd say 18" or below, you are good. Above 18" - forget it. Go with a unit with individual reflectors.

Also, If you go with the Nova, buy good bulbs up front. You'll be much happier and get better growth and color. The Current bulbs are just not up to snuff and you're limited on color.

SWSaltwater
10/16/2007, 05:12 PM
Fixtures are nice but I do not like coloration on their bulbs. Upgrading bulbs a good idea IMO.

James11
10/16/2007, 06:41 PM
Thanks, thats what I needed to know. I think I am going to go with the Tek II retro with ice cap SLR reflectors.

MMathews
10/16/2007, 10:51 PM
I have the nova now on my 75g, I've only had it working for a month or so though, so I can't give too much feedback.
SWSaltwater and PIankton- which type of bulbs would you recommend replacing the current ones with? It sounds like a good idea.........

chinzman93
10/16/2007, 11:33 PM
Have you taken a look at the Aquatinics TX5 series. Really good fixture for the money.

fsn77
10/17/2007, 05:37 AM
If you're going to spend the money on a Nova Extreme only to replace all the bulbs from the start, you may want to just look at buying a Tek fixture for just a little bit more.

4 bulb Nova Extreme = $200 (Drs. F & S)
4 better bulbs = $80 (ReefGeek)

4 bulb Tek fixture with individual reflectors and your choice of bulbs = $330 (ReefGeek)

If you have to pay shipping charges separately for the fixture and the bulbs due to ordering from two separate vendors, the final price difference would probably be even less.

The only thing is the Tek fixture doesn't come with legs or the acrylic shield for that price, which may or may not be an issue depending on your set-up.

Embowe
10/17/2007, 08:38 AM
I know it may be a minor thing to some people...but the NOVA has active cooling (i.e. a fan) while the tek has none...and if you had the acrylic shield to the tek lights the bulbs are going to get a little too warm for most people's liking...I know the teks have the indivudal reflectors going in their favor...but the cooling is going to the NOVA's....check out Catalina Aquarium's Solar T5 fixture ..its right around the same price range your looking at...just another option thats all

thecichlidpleco
10/17/2007, 09:23 AM
Well, I have one, I like it since it is all in one, but within a week the fan stopped working, didnt notice it till much later, just thought it was quiet. Three months after that the LED lights went out. All I have to say is fill out your registration card and keep on current-usa or DFS if something should happen.

Embowe
10/17/2007, 03:23 PM
I have a 36" Nova on one of my tanks and I can't complain...I am able to keep everything that I have wanted with no problems at all....There are always cheaper solutions to the problem...you just need to have the "b@lls" to give them a try...:)