PDA

View Full Version : ViaAqua heaters. junk?

cgib831
10/15/2007, 08:53 PM
I bought a 300watt via aqua stainless heater in january. used it a couple of times for water changes,and recently installed it on my 90g. worked for about 2 weeks and then just died. Im Po'd. has anyone used these before? If i can badger the company or drsforsters into giving me a new one, is it worth it, or is it just gonna die again. I know its not expensive, but in 12 years i have never had a heater fail. and this is the only one that claims to be "indestructable."

Percula9
10/15/2007, 10:04 PM
Via Aqua does not make a quality product. Buy a Ebo- Jaeger, no problem. I have had mine for the last 3yrs and no problem. I also have a Hydor for my mini-reef and have had no problems. A busted heater can cost you a lot of money in livestock.

AZDesertRat
10/15/2007, 11:17 PM
I have been using the Via Aqua Titanium for almost 4 years now without a hiccup. I would recommend it to anybody. Stainless steel is not saltwater safe, it has to be titanium.

HBtank
10/16/2007, 12:21 AM
Assume any heater is "junk" and ALWAYS use an external controller. None of them have thermostats to stake your reef on.

I would consider the titanium to be safest in regards to actually breaking.. I personally use Ebo-jager and have never been all that concerned with actually shattering them.

cgib831
10/16/2007, 08:10 AM
i believe it is stainless steel. there is some sort of strange external corrosion on it. kinda looks like rust, but i dont think it is. at least it shouldnt be. just sucks, big pain in the... have all my wires under the tank run really nicely, now have to undo them. those bastards

AZDesertRat
10/16/2007, 09:19 AM
Stainless is rust resistant not rust proof in salt water. Get a titanium, it won't rust.

Freed
10/16/2007, 09:26 AM
My Via Aqua has been working fine for me for the last year or two. The dial and the actual temp don't match up but has been working fine. Might just be the exception and not the norm though.

BeanAnimal
10/16/2007, 09:30 AM
You will find that many folks have had "good luck" with their heaters, no matter what brand. The problem is that it is LUCK. They are very prone to failure and must be backed up by a real temperature controller. A suggest RANCO or Johnson Controls. You can get a single stage RANCO for around $60 on eBay. Reef controllers like the Lighthouse, Aquacontroller, Proflux, etc are all also very good options. There is no excuse not to use one (a reliable temperature controller). The Won Bros, Finnex and other hobby controllers are a joke and no more reliable than the hobby heaters.

Freed
10/16/2007, 09:50 AM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, you had to say Johnson Controls didn't you Bean?

BeanAnimal
10/16/2007, 09:59 AM
you lost me!

Freed
10/16/2007, 10:00 AM
Hehe, I used to work at a JCI plant. They closed last year and 180 people lost their jobs.

BeanAnimal
10/16/2007, 10:02 AM
Ahh sorry to hear that.

ccoral
10/16/2007, 11:27 AM
stainless is for freshwater i believe. Titanium will last and I bean ranco controllers work very well.
I like of the option of extending the sensor probe with a RCA cable.