PDA

View Full Version : question

orbit
10/15/2007, 06:18 PM
hi

i have a few question i would like to ask u ppl

1st - how do you know if you started the cycle yet? i have live rocks and sand in my 20L for about just little more than one week now and my parameters havent change yet. i am using the red sea right now( i kno it not the best)

2nd - i notice these hairy thing growing on my rocks . any idea what they are? hair algae maybe?

heres a pic of what i am talking about
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9508/26805168tq8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Thanks
Orbit :smokin:

Uyro1
10/15/2007, 06:26 PM
I am still a noob but I know a little. I was just in your shoes. The cycle is probably done. You will not know until you add some fish. I had my nano up for a week with live rock and live sand. Nothing registered. I added a fish and then everything was great. I got a six line wrass. He is such a begger for food!!! And i have no idea what the little red things are but I have a ton of them too. They even start growing on the glass.

reefergeorge
10/15/2007, 07:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10978176#post10978176 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Uyro1
You will not know until you add some fish.

That's what test kits are for. Test your nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia and when they are all at zero you can slowly start adding fish.

NanoBen
10/15/2007, 07:31 PM
like reefergeorge said, test your levels, they will all peak and the drop and peak n drop n peak n drop until nitrates are close to zero and hopefully you can maintain zero. then you can add fish safely. as for the picture, it is normal and it will stay like that. just keep testing, it could take over a month to cycle ? just gotta wait n see

orbit
10/15/2007, 07:44 PM
yea i have the tank up for 1 week now and have tested 3 times

i tested it today and my parameter are

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrate: 5
Nitrite: 0.05
Alkalinity: 1.7-2.8
PH: 8.2
Salinity: 1.023(with hydrometer but i bought a refractometer and will re-test it when it comes)

nah i dont think i will add a fish in there, ill rather wait for my reading to be zero's then add em

Thanks for the quick reply ppl

kau_cinta_ku
10/15/2007, 07:47 PM
adding a fish to tell if your cycle is over is not a nice way to treat a fish. adding flake food or a piece of raw shrimp will be a much better way.