PDA

View Full Version : Euro-Reef RS 180 overflowing

BryanM
10/15/2007, 06:17 PM
I recently purchased an RS 180 skimmer. I have a 180 gallon sps tank and 30 gallon sump. I run the water level between 6-8 inches in the sump. the problem is when I shut down for 10 minutes to feed , and then start back up the collection cup overflows along with all my skimate back into my tank. ER sent me a new needle wheel, but i still have the same problem. They are sending me a whole new pump, but just wanted to know if any one else has seen this problem. I dont want a skimmer i have to baby sit every day. For that price i shouldnt have to. They tried to get me to upgrade the pump for another 120 dollars, but for 440 this thing should work out of the box. I even tried starting the skimmer up last to make sure the water level in the sump was the same as it was when it shut down, and still the same problem. I had an ASM in there for two years with out incident.
I even checked my line voltage before and durring start up. its a solid 124 volts.
Any suggestions? Has anyone else had this problem?
Just so im clear, Euro-Reefs customer support has been very good so far. Just disapointed in the skimmers instability.

Percula9
10/15/2007, 07:52 PM
When you start the skimmer up are there bubbles in the chamber? I suggest setting the control stand pipe at its lowest level when starting up. Let it run for a few minutes, then adjust the water level to the desired height.

BryanM
10/15/2007, 08:07 PM
yes , bubbles fill the chamber on start up and overflow into cup. I have it set so the bubbles break at the bottom of the collection cup to produce thick foam. You can open the stand pipe and it will keep it from overflowing, but i dont think you should have to adjust it everytime the tank is shut down. What about if the power goes off and on when im not home . Do you own a euro-reef ,and Is this typical to have to adjust everytime you shut down. What do you think the differance is between the ASM skimmer I had? I never had to adjust or worry about overflow, and everything else is the same.
Thanx

Randy1
10/15/2007, 08:13 PM
Don't shut it down, mine always has to be re-adjusted and a shut down. I have the exact same skimmer.

frag master flash
10/15/2007, 08:41 PM
I have a gate valve mod, but mine is set and forget. I only shut it down to clean the cup and never have to reset the level. How long does it take for the level to settle back down after beginning to overflow and can you tell if there is a difference in air flow between startup and when it settles down?

chrismhaase
10/15/2007, 09:29 PM
I have the exact same skimmer as you. I would not shut it down. What you want to do is maybe turn your dry/wet adjustment(the tall gray PVC pipe) closer to open. Just s Randy said, start with the top of the bubbles at the bottom of the collection cup and let it adjust. I would recommend not raising the bubble/waterline more than an inch into the collection cup. Then the nasty stuff will bubble up and over. Eventually you might want to change this.

Good luck. Maybe post some pictures of where it is setup now. Also, how new is the skimmer? I think it took a week or two to adjust and get going how it should.

Percula9
10/15/2007, 09:45 PM
I don't own a Euro-Reef, but we have one at the school aquarium lab. I have never had this problem with it. Your right you shouldn't have to constanly adjust the water height. Can you leave the skimmer on while feeding? Why not shut the sump down instead and leave the skimmer running in a closed loop.

Tennsquire
10/15/2007, 10:17 PM
Maybe it's got something to do with what your feeding. There are some things that make my Euro-Reef go nuts. I have a CS6-1 with an up-sized Sedra on it. It's also got the gate-valve mod. When I put a Polyfilter in the water, the skimmer will pretty much instantly overflow and needs to be shut down for a few hours. Feeding usually changes the surface tension of the water; in my case, it reduces the foam head on the skimmer for a short time. This also happens when I add certain additives to the tank. Does it always overflow when you shut it off, or just when you feed?

BryanM
10/16/2007, 06:35 PM
The skimmer is two weeks old. I do have it set at the bottom of the collection cup. When i start it up it overflows for about 30 seconds then settles down slowly, but by then my collection cup is full. I dont think its the food, because it overflows before the tank water has a chance to return to the sump.

BryanM
10/16/2007, 06:56 PM
I tried just shutting down the return pump and left the skimmer running, but when the water raised 1.5 inches in the sump the skimmer overflowed. ( Percula 9) How would i put an in sump skimmer in a closed loop? Do u guys shut down your filtration when u feed? I do have a new 30 breeder coming this week. I thought about putting a 7 inch baffle in it to try and maintain constant water level when running and shut down.

Percula9
10/16/2007, 07:14 PM
What I meant by a closed loop was the skimmer was recirculating the water in the sump only and not receiving water from the tank. You can add a valve to the drain, and shut the valve to prevent the water level from going up when you shut down. Does your return have a check valve on it? I leave eveything running when I feed.

BryanM
10/16/2007, 07:31 PM
My return does not have a check valve on it but it does have a hole drilled above the water line to keep it from back siphoning.

Fish'InMN
10/16/2007, 07:36 PM
When you say you "shut off" for feeding, are you turning off just the skimmer pump, or everything (including return pump)?

Consistent water height is a huge factor in skimmer performance.

EDIT: Okay, so you're not turning the skimmer pump on too early. Check.

What is your feeding procedure, and what do you feed that creates the problem the most? I have noticed reduced skimmer performance after feeding if I put my hands in the tank too much, or if I feed too much.

Randy1
10/16/2007, 07:37 PM
Is your sump water level constant?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10978099#post10978099 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BryanM
I recently purchased an RS 180 skimmer. I have a 180 gallon sps tank and 30 gallon sump. I run the water level between 6-8 inches in the sump. the problem is when I shut down for 10 minutes to feed , and then start back up the collection cup overflows along with all my skimate back into my tank. ER sent me a new needle wheel, but i still have the same problem. They are sending me a whole new pump, but just wanted to know if any one else has seen this problem. I dont want a skimmer i have to baby sit every day. For that price i shouldnt have to. They tried to get me to upgrade the pump for another 120 dollars, but for 440 this thing should work out of the box. I even tried starting the skimmer up last to make sure the water level in the sump was the same as it was when it shut down, and still the same problem. I had an ASM in there for two years with out incident.
I even checked my line voltage before and durring start up. its a solid 124 volts.
Any suggestions? Has anyone else had this problem?
Just so im clear, Euro-Reefs customer support has been very good so far. Just disapointed in the skimmers instability.

BryanM
10/16/2007, 08:34 PM
I have always shut down the return pump, and skimmer. Actually I dont even have to feed. Just shut it down and restart. It will return to the bubble height as before, but overflows first. The only time the water level is not constant is when I shut down the return pump, but I tried restarting it first letting the sump level return to normal, but skimmer still overflows on start up. The skimmer performance is great, I just have to open the stand pipe and re adjust each time i shut down. Euro Reef customer support says it shouldnt do this, but it sounds like Randy has the same problem.

frag master flash
10/16/2007, 09:08 PM
I would consider leaving the skimmer on when feeding. Not saying that that will fix the problem, but I don't think there is a reason to turn it off unless you are adding something that makes "the skimmer go nuts." Many times times problems with internal needle wheel skimmers seem to stem from an unstable water level in the sump or a partially blocked air intake. If there is a valve on the air intake, you might try totally removing it and retesting. Only other thing that I can think of is that maybe the standpipe outflow is partially blocked, but 30 seconds seems like a lot of overflow time. Sorry I can't be of more help, but please let us know how you get it resolved.

frag master flash
10/16/2007, 09:09 PM
double post

Percula9
10/16/2007, 09:34 PM
There is some sort of design flaw in the skimmer. Euro-Reef agrees this shouldn't happen. Ask them to replace the unit as a matter of good faith.

BryanM
10/16/2007, 09:46 PM
The new pump should be here soon. it currently has a gen x pump on it. It kind of makes me wonder when they suggested i upgrade my pump to a eheim after only two weeks of use.

Percula9
10/16/2007, 10:55 PM
I hope the new pump solves your problem. Let us know what happens.

BryanM
10/17/2007, 07:16 PM
Does anyone have the eheim pump on their euro?

frag master flash
10/17/2007, 08:41 PM
I have a sedra 5000 (the one the skimmer came with), a sedra 9000, and eheim pump. I have all three because I like to tinker and like equipment. Both sedras predate the new designs and the eheim came from fins reef (bought it before they were available through ER). It is a great pump and I really like eheims. But I don't think that that is what you need to solve your problem. If it is a faulty pump, then the new gen-x should fix it. If not, the problem will remain irregardless of the pump used. Glad to hear that ER is working with you.

BryanM
10/18/2007, 07:20 PM
New pump came today. Time will tell if this fixes the problem. Euro-Reef has great customer service.

lilchris
10/18/2007, 08:09 PM
Did you take off the white air valve going into the venturi? The tech told me to take it off. I noticed when I tried to run the skimmer w/ the valve on it constantly overflows. When the valve is off it works perfectly. I have to monitor it when I shut it down. It doesn't overflow but it stops at the top of the neck. I talked to euro reef due to my pump being very loud, they offered me to purchase the ehiem pump. Then they sent me a new pinwheel. It works but every now and then, usually when it needs to be cleaned, it starts to get loud again. I think I will get it next year. I am w/ you, all this money we spend we shouldn't have to monitor this thing every day.

BryanM
10/19/2007, 05:13 PM
Yes i took that off right from the start. The teck at eur0-reef said it restricted air flow anyway, plus it made a loud sucking noise.

lilchris
10/20/2007, 10:59 AM
I think you also have to have the skimmer pump at a certain height from the water level. So when you shut off the return pump and the water rises in the sump you are raising the water level from the recommended height. When the water level evens out then it has already overflowed. Try turning your return pump on first let everything settle then turn on your skimmer. Or don't shut the return pump or the skimmer off to feed. Its not necessary IMO. I only turn off the powerheads.

Flamehawk
11/27/2007, 11:25 AM
Did you fix your problem, any updates?